Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Interesting Old Tebu Short Sword (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12508)

Lew 9th September 2010 09:11 PM

Interesting Old Tebu Short Sword

1 Attachment(s)
I picked this up today from another member it is an older Tebu short sword with a rounded tip. Everything is in very good condition blade is about 17" long. Comments Welcome. :)

katana 10th September 2010 09:36 AM

Hi Lew,
never seen this type of blade on a Tebu hilt ....looks good. With the 'arm' loop.....would this be worn on the arm ? Or would it be held by a belt/baldric ?

Kind Regards David

Iain 10th September 2010 11:20 AM

Very nice (and at least to me) unusual piece. Can I ask what the skin is from? Lizard, croc, snake?

Does the blade seem like it's forged? Only asking because the Tebu pieces I've seen often have a hammer finish while this one is smooth.

I really like it. :)

Ron Anderson 10th September 2010 11:30 AM

They're often quite low grade. But that is a quality piece. Well done.

Lew 10th September 2010 02:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I do not think this would be worn on the arm it is way too large. I am pretty sure this is a forged piece even though the blade looks smooth. The skin is monitor lizard which is commonly found on many scabbards from that region of Africa.

Emanuel 10th September 2010 04:01 PM

Hi Lew,

The blade and the pommel piece seem to have different finishes, the latter is in a rougher state. The blade looks a lot like a machete blade, Martindale-made or some other model, as often seen on Masaai seme. While as collectors we prize the older, forged blades, I recall reading that locals appreciated much more the imported machete blades since they were harder and had better heat treatment.

Regarding Tebu daggers in general, are the pommel pieces usually integral to the rest of the balde and hilt or are they just attached at the pommel?

Emanuel

Lew 10th September 2010 04:31 PM

Emanuel

If you look carefully the blade seems to have a shallow fuller so I don't think this was made from a panga style machete. As far as construction Tebu daggers are integral and were forged from one piece of steel.

Iain 13th September 2010 08:46 AM

Thanks for the pics Lew and my apologies for getting back to this thread a little late.

I agree, definitely forged and not from a machete. I can see the fuller. I find the incised lines around the edge interesting as this motif shows up some takouba as well. I've sometimes wondered how much is deliberate or if it comes from the sharpening technique, this looks intentional though as a decorative motif.

Interesting point about the pommels being integral. I'm assuming this piece is the same?