Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Yet another maasi seme (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23174)

kronckew 22nd September 2017 10:26 PM

Yet another maasi seme

1 Attachment(s)
got a real bargain on this one, 26.5 in. (67cm) blade. not sure how old it is. looks like it has a medial ridge. arriving next week. may be a coin at the tip of the scabbard - hopefully dated. this adds to my short flat bladed utility version, and my short sword version to complte the set. comes with the suspension belt intact too. i'll hang it next to my other short sword seme and the lion spear.

Sajen 23rd September 2017 10:09 AM

Nice good old piece, congrats! Curious to see it together with your other examples! :)

Regards,
Detlef

colin henshaw 23rd September 2017 02:27 PM

Looks a good old sword, well done.

drac2k 23rd September 2017 03:10 PM

Really nice sword, but getting that wonderful scabbard intact was equally fortunate.

kronckew 23rd September 2017 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drac2k
Really nice sword, but getting that wonderful scabbard intact was equally fortunate.

that was my main reason for bidding on it! ;)

Robert 23rd September 2017 08:30 PM

A real beauty, especially with the scabbard being in what looks to be absolutely wonderful condition. I cannot wait to see better photos of it after it has arrived. Congratulation on a great score.

Best,
Robert

colin henshaw 25th September 2017 12:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice early photo here of a Kikuyu warrior with a similar sword, from the book "The Akikuyu" by C Cagnolo 1933

kronckew 25th September 2017 05:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
interesting - i wonder if he was a lefty. looks hard to draw if he's right handed.
maybe the printer got it wrong sided? ;)

kronckew 1st October 2017 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
it's here: shown with my other seme (i have a smaller red scabbard flat blade version somewhere too) grip appears to be wound cord of some unknown mtls. and covered with a leather tube, probably a degloved cows tail.

wht: 688 grams (sword ex. scabbard.)
blade 26.25 in. long, 1 5/8 in. wide near tip, thick medial ridge hollow grind to edge. distal tapered. edge is sharp about halfway down the blade, remainder is dull.

grip is approx.5 in. long x 3/4 in. thick.

scabbard is red leather over a wood core, brass disk at tip is not a coin, but is decorated with a pattern of small chevrons around the periphery near the edge. belt is thicker leather and ridged, a sewn 'buckle' of leather with a hole one end, the other end has a leather thong threaded through it with a hole in the flattened wider end of the thong. the thong is looped back on itself and held by two blue glass beads. scabbard throat is a bit distressed. blade fits a bit tight. i've ballistolled the whole shebang, leather was in need of a drink as was the blade.