Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ethiopian swords (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24493)

kahnjar1 7th April 2020 03:34 AM

Another Ethiopian Blade rehilted.

2 Attachment(s)
Here is an earlier link to an Ethiopian blade which has been rehilted, probably in the tribal regions of North Africa.
The blade is Solingen.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=8997
Since the original post, this sword has now come to me for safe keeping, and there was further discussion regarding the blade in a later post which I can not locate. Anyway, the thought was that the blade had started life being straight and had later been reforged.
I do not agree with this, as the filigree work in the fullers would have been "stretched" had this occured. The filigree is consistant throughout the curve.
Attached are a couple of pics, one from the original post, and another recent one. You will note that the knucklebow has now been replaced.
Stu

Battara 7th April 2020 06:19 AM

Interesting piece. The "silver" parts look like aluminum to me.

kahnjar1 7th April 2020 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
Interesting piece. The "silver" parts look like aluminum to me.

Yes you are right......
Stu

MUFASA 7th April 2020 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariel
And now- with a Russian blade. Imperial Russia ( IR), as always, tried to align herself with faraway nations. Ethiopia was a Christian land surrounded by Islamic nations, a seemingly ideal target. Thus, at the end of the 19th century, IR sent surplus of good old blades there together with " volunteers" and " advisers" ( similar to today situation in Syria)
This blade carries an engraving on its spine " Zlatoust august 1853 year"

very interesting blade!!!

ariel 7th April 2020 08:26 AM

Without seeing the sword, I doubt it has filigree in the fullers. My bet is on a simple engraving. I also have a feeling that it might have been reforged to give it a slight curvature: sabers usually do not have double edging. Would be interesting to see the inscription: usually those were located closed to the handle, where bending ( and distortion) would be minimal.

ariel 7th April 2020 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUFASA
very interesting blade!!!

Yes, you are correct. The only one I have encountered so far. Likely it is the result of Mashkov’s expedition to Addis Ababa in 1889 and the resulting sales of Russian military equipment to Ethiopia. Russian mountain guns were used at the Battle of Adwa. Likely, my sword is from the same period and the same battle.

kronckew 7th April 2020 09:04 AM

cool sword. :) Good job on the knuckle bow.

kronckew 7th April 2020 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roanoa
There are more tigers in the USA than in India!

Very true. :)

They, like the SA ones are however mostly 'Hybrids', mixed 'race', ie. from different locational strains, and thus discriminated against by the Mainstream Animal Conservation groups as not worthy of being released into the wild tiger areas as they may contaminate the blood lines. Racism exists for animals too. Personally, I'd release a few into the Rockies near the elk areas and see what happens. Add some spice to the lives of the hikers. Might teach the local cougars and griz a few things about the food chain too. :D Wolves might get better press...

Kubur 7th April 2020 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Here is an earlier link to an Ethiopian blade which has been rehilted, probably in the tribal regions of North Africa.

IMHO
It's a Yemeni sword.
This will also make more sense with the Ethiopian blade.