Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Timor Sword (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4621)

Bill M 21st May 2007 07:45 PM

Timor Sword

7 Attachment(s)
29" Long (OAL) Don't have a lot of details. Gotta run right now.

Comments?

Tim Simmons 21st May 2007 07:59 PM

Nice one Bill !! The whole thing is just great. :cool: Even your avatar got a cheesy grin :eek:

carlos 21st May 2007 10:03 PM

OHHHHH!!

I JUST FALL IN LOVE!! :eek: :eek: BEATIFUL SWORD, AND IN A VERY GOOD CONDITION!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!
CARLOS

Marcokeris 22nd May 2007 12:23 PM

Beautifull!!! Congratulations

VVV 22nd May 2007 01:07 PM

Very nice Opi!

Michael

kai 22nd May 2007 08:45 PM

Bill, congrats for getting this piece from Arjan's collection! I like the carvings and the old fittings...

Michael, why do you think this is an Opi? The hilt and scabbard style seems to me in good agreement with what Albert van Zonneveld classifies as sword of the Timor group, type a, doesn't it?

While the short blade seems to be of good quality, I assume these are mainly status (or ceremonial) swords?

Regards,
Kai

VVV 22nd May 2007 09:13 PM

Kai,

I have always called the type a Timor sword an Opi.
But now when you bring it up maybe I have always been wrong on this? :o

Michael

kai 23rd May 2007 08:16 PM

Hello Michael,

AvZ's Opi examples display a distinct hilt and scabbard style. Aside from Stone, he only references W. Foy (1899).

Are there any other primary sources which support a connection between the name and either sword type?

Regards,
Kai

VVV 23rd May 2007 08:31 PM

Hello Kai,

I haven't either found that much on Timor weapon names.
Usually the Timor books I have, or have seen, are more into the "tribal art" aspects than weapons.
Unfortunately I don't have the Leiden catalogues on Timor where I suspect the local names are clarified.

Michael

Maurice 11th June 2008 10:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Bill,

To bring up an old threat.
I was looking at old threats and I found this one.
I noticed immediately those sort of "pens" in the handle (sorry Bill, I messed with your nice pic :-) to make clear what I mean).
My rugi from Alor has on two places 2 kind of pens (metal bronzecolour), like your Timor sword. The pens in the rugi are not through the handle. At the other side of the handle it is just plain.
Are those pens in your Timor sword through the handle, and are they wood or also metal? And do you know what purpose it had?

Regards,
Maurice

Bill M 11th June 2008 02:06 PM

Hi Maurice,

The pins in mine are wood or horn.

The hilt is two pieces and then joined together. I suppose that there is a big flat pin (we call them "biscuits" in woodworking) that originates in the smaller side and then terminates inside the larger side where the pins are inserted.

This would hold the two pieces of the hilt together. This would make sense as they might not have a piece of horn big enough to make a one piece hilt.

I have another sword from the same area that has identical pin arrangement.

The pins on both of these go all the way through.

Does that help?

Maurice 11th June 2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Does that help?

Thanks Bill.
Than there is a purpose of the pins in your two pieces. Mine will still be a mistery than I believe.
Maybe you can sent me some pics of the other sword. :-)

Kind regards,
Maurice