Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Kris scabbard identification (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7495)

mykeris 10th November 2008 09:07 AM

Kris scabbard identification

2 Attachment(s)
Just checking with you guys, is this scabbard Javanese or Bugis or Banjarmasinese? I found a Bugis keris fitted into it. Thanks in advance for your kind assistance. Mykeris.

Alam Shah 10th November 2008 09:52 AM

Looks more Sumatran, with Minang and Palembang influence.. :)

mykeris 10th November 2008 10:20 PM

Thanks Alam Shah, if no objections from other forumites, I will brand this Sampir (sheath) as `A Bugis version Sampir (Kemuning wood) of the Riau-Lingga Era`

Alam Shah 10th November 2008 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mykeris
Thanks Alam Shah, if no objections from other forumites, I will brand this Sampir (sheath) as `A Bugis version Sampir (Kemuning wood) of the Riau-Lingga Era`

Hi mykeris,
Before branding this sampir, here are a few questions.
What is your definition of 'Riau-Lingga Era'?
Riau-Lingga is a archipelago, made up of islands. How can an era be tagged to a region without a determining time period? Thru' time, the riau-lingga region had encountered influences and evolved.
Where did you the provenance come from?
What are the features of a Bugis sampir?
What are the features of a Riau-Lingga sampir?

I agree that the wood is kemuning (in malay), but also identified by other names in different regions. :D :confused:

sipakatuo 11th November 2008 04:28 AM

It looks Banjarmasin to me with Bugis influence.

PenangsangII 11th November 2008 05:02 AM

I would go for Minang-Palembang marriage, and most probably Riau. And yes, with Bugis influence :)

mykeris 11th November 2008 07:39 AM

Thanks guys, for your opinion. As for Riau-Lingga, please type Riau Lingga Empire. Regards, Mykeris.

sipakatuo 11th November 2008 08:08 AM

IMHO this is a banjarmasin sheath. I have seen very similar sheath in one of my relative house. His origin is from Banjarmasin and has collections of Banjarmasin kerisses ONLY, gathered from his direct descendant.

1. If you see the wood (grains) is typical growth in Sulawesi and Lombok which have big or large or rough looking grains. Where Kemuning from Sumatra is rather small and smooth looking grains.

2. The style of the sheath has also an influence from Java sheath, at the bottom edge looks a bit roundish. You can find this in almost in old Banjarmasin sheats. They have very close shape to gayaman from Java and so the blade.

3. It has a Bugis influence too or shape like a perahu (boats).

4. From the history, Banjarmasin has close relationships with Java and great influence from Bugis.

This is just my 2 cents opinion and I could be wrong!. Please tell me your reasons of stating this scabbard is from Minang-Palembang?. Thanks in advance.

mykeris 11th November 2008 12:13 PM

Thanks Sipakatuo, you got very strong points!

Alam Shah 11th November 2008 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sipakatuo
IMHO this is a banjarmasin sheath. I have seen very similar sheath in one of my relative house. His origin is from Banjarmasin and has collections of Banjarmasin kerisses ONLY, gathered from his direct descendant.
4. From the history, Banjarmasin has close relationships with Java and great influence from Bugis.

Hi sipakatuo, I do agree with point number 1 and 2 of your opinion. If I may ask, could you provide some examples, pictures of banjarmasin sheath of this design.. I've yet to see and learn more about this sheath form.. currently I'm familiar with the 'gayaman' styles of banjarmasin sheaths and some tanggah forms. Perhaps you're right. It would be nice to see more banjarmasin sheath forms. Hoping to see soon... :) :D