Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Luzon bolo with carved horn handle (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19058)

Sajen 17th September 2014 12:57 AM

Luzon bolo with carved horn handle

7 Attachment(s)
Have recently won this bolo from Luzon with carved horn handle, 20 1/4 " long complete with a blade length of 14 3/4 ". Blade seems to be made from a file!? Maybe not the finest carving at the handle you can find.
How you would call it and what you think about the age?

Robert 17th September 2014 02:48 AM

Hello Detlef, If I were pressed to put a name to it I would call it an Itak and would put the age to late 1800's to very early 1900's. A great piece and I believe it will clean up very nicely. I too was watching this but had to make a choice on what item to bid on and the silver fitted knife I posted the other day won out. :D Congratulations on this very beautiful addition to your collection.

Best,
Robert

Sajen 17th September 2014 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert
Hello Detlef, If I were pressed to put a name to it I would call it an Itak and would put the age to late 1800's to very early 1900's. A great piece and I believe it will clean up very nicely. I too was watching this but had to make a choice on what item to bid on and the silver fitted knife I posted the other day won out. :D Congratulations on this very beautiful addition to your collection.

Best,
Robert

Hello Robert,

thank you for confirming my thoughts about this one! ;)

Regards,
Detlef

Sajen 21st September 2014 12:08 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Have received the Tagalog itak and I am very pleased with it, here some pictures how it look after some maintenance, the blade I've cleaned with steel wool, the brass get a little bit polish and the horn hilt I've oiled with linseed oil.

Ian 21st September 2014 01:36 PM

That one came up very nicely with some cleaning Detlef. Nice pick up on your part.

I would also say circa 1900 based on the style of carving on the horn and probably of Ilocano manufacture judging from the blade and the "little pinky notch" on the hilt.

Sajen 21st September 2014 01:55 PM

Thank you Ian,

so I have three concurrent opinions regarding the age. But Jose write me before that he think it's a from the Tagalog, so a little bit more in the South.
I personally have problems to distinguish between Ilocano and Tagalog characteristics. Maybe a very good issue for a thread! ;)

Regards,
Detlef

Ian 21st September 2014 02:18 PM

I would agree with Jose that the carving on the hilt looks like Central Luzon/Tagalog work. However, the blade and hilt style would fit well with features consistent with Ilocano manufacture.

Often hard to distinguish between Ilocano work of northern Luzon and that from central Luzon/Tagalog areas. From what I have read here there seems to be diverse opinions about what comprises Ilocano styles and materials. There are a few features that I feel reasonably comfortable with in attributing pieces to the Ilocano, but those are better left to a thread devoted to the topic and with some well documented/provenanced pieces. Even so, it will be hard to make strict distinctions because of the blurring of traditional styles in recent years.

Sajen 21st September 2014 02:32 PM

Thank you again Ian for the further remarks, maybe I will start a thread about this issue.

Regards,
Detlef

carlos 21st September 2014 02:40 PM

Very good adquisition, I love this carving hilt !! I was the second in the auction . :D
Im happy to see finally you was the winner.
If some day decided to sell it ... :rolleyes:
thanks again and enjoy it !

Carlos

Sajen 21st September 2014 02:46 PM

Thank you Carlos,

when I need to sell it one day I will remember you! ;)

Regards,
Detlef

Robert 21st September 2014 06:31 PM

WOW, it has indeed cleaned up very nicely. Makes me wonder now if I made the right choice in making my offer on the one I did and not bid on this instead. Add me to the list of potential new owners if you ever get tired of looking at this. :D

Best,
Robert

Sajen 21st September 2014 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert
WOW, it has indeed cleaned up very nicely. Makes me wonder now if I made the right choice in making my offer on the one I did and not bid on this instead. Add me to the list of potential new owners if you ever get tired of looking at this. :D

Best,
Robert

Thank you Robert, will do! :D But your Luzon Knife is a beauty as well! ;)

Regards,
Detlef

Terry K 22nd September 2014 01:17 AM

Avery nice looking piece that cleaned up nice. Congrats!
Terry

drac2k 22nd September 2014 04:20 AM

WELL DONE, BRAVO !!!

Ferguson 22nd September 2014 08:14 AM

Beautiful!
Steve

Sajen 22nd September 2014 09:33 AM

Thank you guys, you are very kind! :)

Oliver Pinchot 27th January 2015 09:56 PM

Beautiful carving and proportions, Detlef. Congratulations on a great acquisition!

Battara 27th January 2015 11:57 PM

Ian does have a good point - I have seen such carving on some Ilocano pieces: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...=ilocano+sword

Sajen 28th January 2015 06:17 PM

Thank you Oliver. :)

Jose, thank you as well, indeed the style of carving is very similar on your beautiful sword hilt.

Regards,
Detlef