Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Looking for a lantaka with turtles, crocs, dragon, bird, & sun symbols (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14107)

migueldiaz 23rd July 2011 11:03 AM

Looking for a lantaka with turtles, crocs, dragon, bird, & sun symbols

4 Attachment(s)
hello all,

attached are pics of a lantaka at a museum in cebu city, philippines. the museum curator pointed out that it is a bogus piece, however -- because the brass turned out to be just a veneer, and everything underneath is plain concrete. however, the piece is good for photo opp, thus the museum decided to put it on the museum's entrance (but not inside, for the reasons cited).

anyway, i believe in any case that the design (i.e., of having dragons, crocs, turtles, birds, and suns) was taken from an original piece/s. would any of the forum members have pics or info on similar lantakas, either from the philppines or indonesia/malaysia, or even from china perhaps?

thanks in advance!

Gustav 23rd July 2011 06:22 PM

I do miss the Dong-Son frogs on it :)

Battara 24th July 2011 12:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You will find that Borneo lantaka and other Indonesian lantaka will be in the shape of crocodiles or naga. Floral patterns and Indonesian okir are even on these. Some of the latter were made in Europe.

Moro lantaka seem rare and usually have more okir on them or are plain. Below is my mini-lantaka as an example. Note the Sulu okir work, especially on the top.

migueldiaz 24th July 2011 10:26 AM

thanks for the comments.

jose, that's a nice lantaka. are those 'duckies' (or jungle fowl or bird) lined up at the top? :) would there be other creatures represented in your particular lantaka? thanks again!

Battara 24th July 2011 07:14 PM

Thank you. Yes I think those are ducks on top with possible dolphins as handles, and some other okir animal at the end.

migueldiaz 24th July 2011 11:29 PM

Thanks Jose! If you will have the time, would it be possible to request for close-up pics of the design elements you just mentioned? Thanks in advance :)

Battara 25th July 2011 05:01 AM

3 Attachment(s)
As you wish my friend:

The first picture is of a okir motif with an onion on top. This is toward the end of the lantaka.

The second picture is of okir near the middle with "dolphins".

The third is of the side view and back of the lantaka with little ducks on top and an okir elephant(?) as a finial. Note the crescent moon symbol which is replicated on the other side.

migueldiaz 26th July 2011 04:14 AM

Jose, maraming salamat! This will be very useful in my research :)

For everybody's info, the University of Sto. Tomas (Manila) I heard published a book on lantakas. I've yet to verify whether the book has already been published. Thanks.

VANDOO 26th July 2011 06:02 PM

8 Attachment(s)
HERE ARE A FEW PICTURES OF VARIOUS LANTKA ,THEY MAY SHOW UP IN OLD POSTS OR NOT?? BUT HERE THEY ARE FOR REFRENCE. THE MUSEUM IN SINGAPORE HAS A LARGE COLLECTION OF THEM THE PICTURES OF SEVERAL MOUNTED OUTSIDE ARE FROM THERE. ONE CANNON HAS A GARUDA HEAD IT IS IN A MUSEUM IN DEMPASAR BALI.
THEY HAVE QUITE A FEW OF THEM FOR SALE IN BORNEO AND MOST ARE MADE RECENTLY AND IN THE SMALLER SIZES. THE PICTURES MOUNTED ON A WOODEN BASE IS ONE OF THESE.

migueldiaz 27th July 2011 12:37 AM

Vandoo, many thanks! The pics will truly be of great help :)

Battara 27th July 2011 02:18 PM

Another good source is on mini-lantaka but will be relevant here as well:

The Might of the Miniature Cannon: a Treasure of Borneo and the Malay Archipelago ISBN 983-41807-2-1

Also - the "dolphins" in the middle of my lantaka are I think actually sea horses

migueldiaz 27th July 2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
Another good source is on mini-lantaka but will be relevant here as well:

The Might of the Miniature Cannon: a Treasure of Borneo and the Malay Archipelago ISBN 983-41807-2-1

Also - the "dolphins" in the middle of my lantaka are I think actually sea horses

Jose, this reference looks excellent. Thanks!