Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Beladau? Lawi Ayam? or...? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24550)

Athanase 23rd December 2018 05:15 PM

Beladau? Lawi Ayam? or...?

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

Another Sumatran?/Malay? strange dagger. :D

The blade look like beladau blade but the hilt is very different.
The blade also looks like the Lawi Ayam but I do not really know this family of weapons and I think that the blade may not be curved enough to be classified as Lawi Ayam. :confused:

The sheath is in Suamtran/Malay style (The true color of red wood is a little browner and darker), but the adjustment with the handle is not good, I feel that it may not be the original sheath. :shrug:

Length blade : 18,3cm
Thickness at the base : 5mm

Do you know the name and origin of this dagger?

kai 23rd December 2018 08:11 PM

Hello Séverin,

Nice grab!

Quote:

Another Sumatran?/Malay? strange dagger. :D

The blade look like beladau blade but the hilt is very different.
The blade also looks like the Lawi Ayam but I do not really know this family of weapons and I think that the blade may not be curved enough to be classified as Lawi Ayam. :confused:
Certainly not a lawi ayam or korambi.

The hilt clearly is a variant of a badik. The red color might point to a coastal Malay community if the scabbard is original.

Quote:

The sheath is in Suamtran/Malay style (The true color of red wood is a little browner and darker), but the adjustment with the handle is not good, I feel that it may not be the original sheath. :shrug:
Does the blade fit only very loosely?

If the blade feels suitable, it may just be a bit misaligned: It looks like it may have been shifted slightly upwards.

Regards,
Kai

Sajen 23rd December 2018 10:03 PM

I think that it is a badik from Sumatra and a very nice one on top!

I am nearly sure that the scabbard is a recent replacement, compare the patina from the handle and scabbard and note the unpurified workmanship of the scabbard. So I am unsure if the scabbard style could be a hint for the exact origin.

Regards,
Detlef

Sajen 23rd December 2018 10:07 PM

And by second look I think the red colour from the scabbard body could be stained. :shrug:

CharlesS 24th December 2018 01:16 PM

I agree with Sajen. Lovely piece with a later, but not inappropriate, scabbard. Congrats on a nice find.

Athanase 24th December 2018 01:41 PM

So it's Malay/Sumatran Badik.
Thank you all for your feedbacks. :)

A. G. Maisey 24th December 2018 11:13 PM

I believe we are looking at the blade of a jambiyo, most likely made in the Bugis tradition, that has been remounted as a badik, probably in Sumatera.