Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Another keris (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24509)

Bill M 10th December 2018 12:56 AM

Another keris

3 Attachment(s)
Comments? Identification?

Rick 10th December 2018 02:48 AM

I'll take a wild guess and say it's Madurese work. :)
Would like to see the entire blade; also the sarong looks older than the wilah, but maybe that's just the glue line I can see that makes me think so.

Jean 10th December 2018 08:55 AM

Yes, the blade looks like from Madura Sumenep (the winged horse), and is probably recent. I saw some blades with similar decoration but covered with gold kinatah and not pierced through. The putut motif under the kembang kacang is an odd addition (not Madurese).
The warangka is in gayaman Solo style and the hilt in Ganesha style from Java North Coast (Tegal).
Regards :)

francantolin 10th December 2018 05:36 PM

Really beautiful !!!
Hilt and blade !!!!

David 10th December 2018 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean
Yes, the blade looks like from Madura Sumenep (the winged horse), and is probably recent. I saw some blades with similar decoration but covered with gold kinatah and not pierced through. The putut motif under the kembang kacang is an odd addition (not Madurese).
The warangka is in gayaman Solo style and the hilt in Ganesha style from Java North Coast (Tegal).

If you look closely you can see that this blade did indeed once carry kinatah that has since fallen away. But i tend to agree with Jean that this seems to be a contemporary blade, although it would be helpful in any assessment, especially one that we only have photos to go by, to include images of the entire blade as well. I suppose it is also possible that the blade is somewhat older, but with contemporary recarving at the base and gonjo. Hard to tell exactly with just the close-up images.
This is indeed an mix of origins. While the sheath probably was not made for this blade, it seems to have been well adapted to it. Hard to say the actual reasons for the mix of styles. :shrug:

Bill M 10th December 2018 10:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by David
If you look closely you can see that this blade did indeed once carry kinatah that has since fallen away. But i tend to agree with Jean that this seems to be a contemporary blade, although it would be helpful in any assessment, especially one that we only have photos to go by, to include images of the entire blade as well. I suppose it is also possible that the blade is somewhat older, but with contemporary recarving at the base and gonjo. Hard to tell exactly with just the close-up images.
This is indeed an mix of origins. While the sheath probably was not made for this blade, it seems to have been well adapted to it. Hard to say the actual reasons for the mix of styles. :shrug:

Why not? Add a few more pictures.

David 11th December 2018 01:40 AM

Thanks Bill. It would still be helpful to have one photo showing the full keris in order to get a better feel for the Pawakan, the over all impression of the blade.

Green 11th December 2018 03:02 AM

if this is a painting I'd guess we can categorize it as 'pop art'... my opinion only.

Jean 11th December 2018 09:17 AM

A very decorative blade anyway, I will check if I can find the pics of the similar blades which I mentioned. Regarding the traces of kinatah on the ganja, I cannot say for this piece but I have found that it is often a trick used by some sellers for enhancing the value of the blades.
Regards

Bill M 11th December 2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Thanks Bill. It would still be helpful to have one photo showing the full keris in order to get a better feel for the Pawakan, the over all impression of the blade.

I couldn't find a full length picture in my files. Will take one later.

David 11th December 2018 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean
Regarding the traces of kinatah on the ganja, I cannot say for this piece but I have found that it is often a trick used by some sellers for enhancing the value of the blades.

I would not be the least bit surprised Jean. This is obviously recent work (at least the carving), so one might wonder how all that kinatah could get worn off in a relatively short period of time. It is the type of work that is meant for accepting kinatah though.
While i would not myself consider "re-doing" the gold work Bill, the one thing i might do to this ensemble if it were mine would be to fix the bad glue job on the sheath. Should not be too difficult a job.

Bill M 20th December 2018 03:07 PM

Horse Keris

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

David, the pictures are from my archives for insurance. I just found the full blade. Sorry it is low resolution but the only blade I have found

David 20th December 2018 03:46 PM

Thanks Bill. That is good enough to give us an over all view of the dhapur.