Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Javanese Cirebon Rajamala Coteng-like keris hilt (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23117)

alexish 10th September 2017 07:04 AM

Javanese Cirebon Rajamala Coteng-like keris hilt

10 Attachment(s)
I have always been curious about the origin of the coteng form Thailand. Coould it be inspired by the Rajamala hilt form Cirebon Java? I enclose an old example of a Rajamala hilt which strongly resembles a Coteng.

Sajen 10th September 2017 08:23 PM

Hi Alexish,

very good possible and I think that this was discussed here before and I think that others like Kerner has noticed this resemblance before when I remember correct.

Regards,
Detlef

David 11th September 2017 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen
Hi Alexish,

very good possible and I think that this was discussed here before and I think that others like Kerner has noticed this resemblance before when I remember correct.

Regards,
Detlef

Yes, this has been discussed here before. If i am not mistaken Shahrial did some comparisons on these hilt forms some time ago. I'll try to find that thread.

alexish 11th December 2017 02:33 PM

Another example

5 Attachment(s)
I hereby enclose another example of a Cirebon/Tegal Rajamala handle.

Sajen 11th December 2017 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexish

Sorry Alexish,

this isn't a Tegal Rayamala hilt, it look like Sumatran hilt with some Malay features to my eyes or a very unusual Coteng hilt.
Here a hilt from my own collection.

Regards,
Detlef

David 11th December 2017 04:25 PM

Quote:

To my eyes i would consider this a coteng hilt. Like Sajen, i also do not think it originates in Cirebon.

kai 11th December 2017 10:38 PM

Sorry to disagree, this isn't any genuine coteng hilt; I also don't see any features that suggest a Sumatran origin.

This looks like rather poor, later craftsmanship to me. I'd guess at a maker from Java/Madura...

Regards,
Kai

David 11th December 2017 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kai
Sorry to disagree, this isn't any genuine coteng hilt; I also don't see any features that suggest a Sumatran origin.

This looks like rather poor, later craftsmanship to me. I'd guess at a maker from Java/Madura...

Regards,
Kai

Kai, you may well be right, but you are not necessarily disagreeing with me. I should have been clearer. When i said i would identify this as a coteng hilt i was not considering whether or not it was an old original or a recent copy. I was referring more to the style of hilt. Frankly i don't know enough about coteng hilts to determine the age of this hilt or exact origin, but the elements of the hilt were clearly designed it appear as a coteng hilt might, especially around the mouth, eyes and nose. What i was most trying to debate was that i do not think this is an example of a Cirebon hilt as Alexish has suggested. ;)

A. G. Maisey 11th December 2017 11:39 PM

I know very little about cotengs, I know a little bit about North Jawa.

In my opinion this is not a hilt from Cirebon, nor from the Pesisir in general.

Workmanship looks fairly crude.

I feel that it has been carved from a light, rather soft wood and stained or lacquered, in which case we might be looking at something from the 1970's-1990's.

I have no idea at all where it might be from.

Sajen 12th December 2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
Kai, you may well be right, but you are not necessarily disagreeing with me. I should have been clearer. When i said i would identify this as a coteng hilt i was not considering whether or not it was an old original or a recent copy. I was referring more to the style of hilt. Frankly i don't know enough about coteng hilts to determine the age of this hilt or exact origin, but the elements of the hilt were clearly designed it appear as a coteng hilt might, especially around the mouth, eyes and nose. What i was most trying to debate was that i do not think this is an example of a Cirebon hilt as Alexish has suggested. ;)

The same I can say about my comment, I only want to state that it isn't a hilt from Tegal. But have to agree about age and craftsmanship with Kai and Alan.

Jean 12th December 2017 08:29 PM

I agree with others but would consider South Sumatra (Lampung) as the most probable origin for the hilt shown by Alexish in post#4 or at least a possible one.
Regards

alexish 5th April 2018 05:16 AM

Newly-carved Rajamala hilt

4 Attachment(s)
Dear Collectors,

Here is a brand new Rajamala hilt carved in Madura, based on the design in the first post.

alexish 5th April 2018 05:37 AM

Sumatran version of Rajamala/Coteng Hilt

5 Attachment(s)
Here is also a newly-carved Sumatran (Palembang) version of either a Rajamala or Coteng Hilt, which was also made in Madura. This is based on a figural hilt in a previous post:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=figural+bird

Rick 5th April 2018 06:38 PM

Quote:

Here is also a newly-carved Sumatran (Palembang) version of either a Rajamala or Coteng Hilt, which was also made in Madura. This is based on a figural hilt in a previous post:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=figural+bird

To be brutally honest... :(

me·di·o·cre
ˌmēdēˈōkər/Submit
adjective
of only moderate quality; not very good.
"a mediocre actor"
synonyms: ordinary, average, middling, middle-of-the-road, uninspired, undistinguished, indifferent, unexceptional, unexciting, unremarkable, run-of-the-mill, pedestrian, prosaic, lackluster, forgettable, amateur, amateurish.