Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cuchillo Canario with a Visayan twist ??? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19005)

drac2k 2nd September 2014 08:55 PM

Cuchillo Canario with a Visayan twist ???

11 Attachment(s)
I recently acquired this very large knife, the blade being approx. 14.5" x almost 3" at it's widest.The handle and the scabbard had a Visayan look to them, but the blade had a Mediterranean appearance ,either Spanish or Italian.Upon further research, I found the exact blade type in the Canary Islands called a "cuchillio canario." The Canary Islands were under Spanish rule at one time and the local economy depended on cash crops such as sugar, etc.as well as being a port of call for the Spanish galleons for provisions .During the history of the Island, there were several mass migrations due to poor economy ; they went to Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Philippines among other Spanish possessions.
This might be a Philippine knife type that I am unaware of(very possible),but I think it could be the blending of cultures, into a hybrid .

Sajen 2nd September 2014 10:02 PM

Hi Drac2k,

it is a Visayan Plamenko, an utility knife. Very nice one, congrats, I still looking for a similar nice example. Do a little search by keyword "plamenko" and you will find some others.

Regards,
Detlef

Sajen 2nd September 2014 10:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here two examples from ebay which I have seen recently. One seems to be a newer but very fancy one, the other seems to have a similar age like yours.

Ian 2nd September 2014 10:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is one that I picked up a couple of years ago. It has a more deeply clipped blade than most. Length 11.5 inches: blade 7.0 inches, hilt 4.5 inches. Definitely made for a small hand, perhaps for a woman.

The so-called Spanish notch is found on knives among several former Spanish colonies, including the Canary Islands, Philippines and Argentina--probably more if we looked hard.

Ian.

Battara 2nd September 2014 11:21 PM

I agree with everyone else - definitely a Visayan plamenko.

drac2k 3rd September 2014 03:19 AM

Thanks everyone for the information; it looks like I've got a plamenko.

Robert 3rd September 2014 07:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Might as well add one more for good luck. :D One thing I would like to add is that with a 14-1/2 inch blade yours is the largest example that I have ever seen or even heard of.:eek: My congratulations to you on a very nice find.

Best,
Robert

drac2k 3rd September 2014 01:47 PM

Thanks Robert, you have a nice example as well .