Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   16th-17th century dagger to identify (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25783)

Lansquenet59 3rd April 2020 09:56 AM

16th-17th century dagger to identify

12 Attachment(s)
Hello,

Can anyone identify this dagger? It is not mine, but a collector whom I met on another forum. With his permission, I put the photos here. Your comments are welcome. I think this model is Spanish.

ulfberth 4th April 2020 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spanish second half of the 17 th C ( or could it be Portugese ? )
Its a left hand dagger to go with what the Spanish call " espada de conchas " as shown in the picture below.
Altough the crossguard does look a bit puny and its a bit out of proportion its still very appealing , I guess you have the acquire the taste for it. This dagger is in all parts Original no doubth whatsoever.
Please tell your friend I like the sabre in the picture in the brass scabbard its a French first empire sabre of the Imperial guards ( chasseur a cheval de la Garde Imperial )

fernando 4th April 2020 02:54 PM

Very nice left hander indeed, Thomas. Solingen on the blade ? ...

Lansquenet59 4th April 2020 04:06 PM

Thank you for the answer.
No, it's not Soligen. False impression.
Probably the manufacturer, we should look for Spanish designers. If someone has an idea...

fernando 5th April 2020 10:46 AM

Thomas, i don't see any name with these letters groupings in Palomares Nomina.
... And, until better judgement, i would stick to IN SOLINGEN ... misspelled, overspelled, whatever :o

Lansquenet59 5th April 2020 11:16 AM

If that's it, it's really very misspelled, which is not consistent.
An interesting question, could Germany have produced blades for Spain?

Lansquenet59 5th April 2020 01:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You may be right Fernando

fernando 5th April 2020 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lansquenet59
... An interesting question, could Germany have produced blades for Spain?...

Bundles and bundles ... as also for Portugal.

fernando 5th April 2020 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lansquenet59
... You may be right Fernando ...

You saved me from having to do that sketch ... which i was about to do ;).

M ELEY 5th April 2020 03:25 PM

Very nice piece!

Excellent acquisition! I was curious about the 'spoon-shaped' depression near the ricasso. Is it purely for decoration or did it possibly serve another function? (my overly imaginative mind thinks of 'gunners stilettos' with both tool and weapon function)- :shrug:

fernando 5th April 2020 03:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by M ELEY
Excellent acquisition! I was curious about the 'spoon-shaped' depression near the ricasso...

Most left handers of this type have a simiilar depression, Mark. You press your thumb in there to secure it in the right position ... like in mine.

M ELEY 5th April 2020 03:34 PM

Thanks for that clarification, 'Nando. I've always wanted to own one of these maine gauche I believe they're called.

fernando 5th April 2020 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M ELEY
Thanks for that clarification, 'Nando. I've always wanted to own one of these maine gauche I believe they're called.

Dague de main gauche, daga de mano izquierda, adaga de mão esquerda, left hand dagger ... all mean the same; take a pick ;) .