Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   First Philippine Republic dagger from Vigan (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17490)

mdp10003 4th August 2013 08:08 PM

First Philippine Republic dagger from Vigan

2 Attachment(s)
Hi!

I am posting pictures on something I just won in an auction. I still have to receive it, so I am posting pictures from the auctioneer.

The over-all length is 12 inches, the sheath looks like it is silver with the Three Stars and Sun emblem, as well as the initials REGH in ornate letters. The blade has engraved near the guard "Filipinas Isla de Luzon" and on the other side (in what looks like a different hand) "Vigan P.I." This would suggest it is a Filipino officers army dagger (give its sheath is silver), possibly from the famed Tinio Brigade, which was under the command of General Manuel Tinio that was tasked with the defense of Vigan and the Ilocos region in 1899-1901.

One question - how common is it for these daggers to have silver sheaths (not just silver mounts)?

cheers, Michael

Sajen 4th August 2013 09:33 PM

Wow, what a great find Michael! Can't answer your question but surely it is from a high ranking person. Other more knowledge members could tell you maybe more. A pity that most of the silver wire at the handle is gone but it seems restorable. Please post pictures when you have received it. And when you ever get tired of it....

Regards,

Detlef

Battara 5th August 2013 07:31 AM

I would say not common at all!

Sajen 5th August 2013 09:00 AM

Here you can see an other one: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10723

Regards,

Detlef

Ferguson 5th August 2013 09:43 AM

That is stunning. Congratulations!
steve

carlos 5th August 2013 12:36 PM

Wow !! I just fall in love :D what a Beautiful piece, this type of pieces are my temtation.
If some day you decide to sell it, please tell me ... :rolleyes:
Best regards and thanks for posting
Carlos

Sajen 5th August 2013 01:45 PM

12 Attachment(s)
Here some other nice examples of this sort of dagger from old threads, hopefully the owners don't mind.

Sajen 5th August 2013 01:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some more! Hope that one day I will own also one! ;) :D

mdp10003 5th August 2013 05:52 PM

Hi!

Thanks for the comments. Jose will be applying his restoration magic on the dagger when it arrives, so we will post more pictures after he has worked on it!

cheers, Michael

mdp10003 6th August 2013 07:03 PM

small

Hi all!

I just got it and shipping it to Jose for restoration. It is actually relatively small - over-all length is just over 10 inches, and relatively light. Has anyone seen daggers this small from this era?

cheers, Michael

David 7th August 2013 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdp10003
Has anyone seen daggers this small from this era?

Michael, i have seen a number of Moro gunongs this small from the same time period.

Battara 7th August 2013 03:50 AM

Like David I have seen some this small. In fact, some of the same period Luzono daggers pictured on this thread are the same size as yours.

Battara 23rd August 2013 12:26 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Finally here are pictures of the restored piece with close ups. I replaced the missing twisted silver wire, polished all of the silver mounts, and took off the rust off the blade.

Battara 23rd August 2013 12:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Notice the butt end of the huilt - it looks to me like a damaged sun face (a symbol used by the Katipunan and later 1st PI Republic).

Battara 23rd August 2013 12:29 AM

BTW - the Ilocos regional attribution would fit for this piece since the blade is Ilocano in form.

Sajen 23rd August 2013 03:32 PM

Like usual very good restore job and a very nice dagger! :)