Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   SWISS SPONTOON with trapezoidal head (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20206)

Cerjak 10th July 2015 08:38 PM

SWISS SPONTOON with trapezoidal head

5 Attachment(s)
I recently bought this spontoon ,I would like to to find more information for similar exemplar with trapezoidal head by now I found nothing similar and I hope that a member could tell me more ..
The Description was :
A SWISS SPONTOON, 18TH CENTURY with flat trapezoidal head, rounded base pierced with a circular arrangement of slipped triangles and crescents, inscribed 'Schweizer Gardes' moulded faceted socket, on a studded wooden haft, with silver brocade tassel 20.5 cm; 8 in head Provenance Louis Bachereau, Paris, 3 September 1933, his no. 2250 JWHA Inv. No. 1982

Any comment on it will be welcome.

Timo Nieminen 11th July 2015 08:16 AM

Originally a normal spontoon or glaive where most of the head broke off?

kronckew 11th July 2015 10:22 AM

3 Attachment(s)
i gather that a number of european monarchs had 'swiss guards' as well as the vatican. the vatican ones use halberds, but the sergeants carry partisans (1st photo). they also have more modern arms :D - nice yataghan bayonets on their rifles (2nd photo - posted as it has som pole arms in the background). google images shows a number of swiss guard partisans, the one from saxony has a similar piercing (3rd photo). i can see how it could be truncated & cut to look more like yours. the top flat edge of yours seems to have a rolled upset wire edge of metal like it had been hammered on. ?

Cerjak 12th July 2015 11:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kronckew
i gather that a number of european monarchs had 'swiss guards' as well as the vatican. the vatican ones use halberds, but the sergeants carry partisans (1st photo). they also have more modern arms :D - nice yataghan bayonets on their rifles (2nd photo - posted as it has som pole arms in the background). google images shows a number of swiss guard partisans, the one from saxony has a similar piercing (3rd photo). i can see how it could be truncated & cut to look more like yours. the top flat edge of yours seems to have a rolled upset wire edge of metal like it had been hammered on. ?

Dear kronckew
Thank you for your comment and pictures
Here are a side view you can perceive that the thickness decreases in the upper part .
Best

Cerjak

kronckew 12th July 2015 12:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
more, a russian spontoon, attributed to the reign of peter the great.

and a german spontoon late 18c.

getting closer ;)