Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   keris identification (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5490)

zartane 14th November 2007 01:50 AM

keris identification

5 Attachment(s)
hi to all, i got this keris (just the blade) and fitted it in its new hulu and sarung that i bought from a craft shop. my question is, what type of blade is it and is the hulu and sarung appropriate for this type of blade? thanks.

PenangsangII 14th November 2007 02:04 AM

The blade looks very Malay (Malaysian) to me, and has some age with it. Your temporary dressing is fine except for the mendak that shouldnt be there. I guess if you want to dress it Malay, then you can fit the hilt with a matching pendokok. As I think the blade is Malay, its difficult to say what category of dapor your keris falls into. Awaiting from the experts comments on this...

Alam Shah 14th November 2007 02:54 AM

Hmmm... the blade looks like a Malay Bugis Riau, Luk 7 piece to me.

The hulu and sarung are appropriate, but as mentioned... the mendak need to be changed to an appropriate type... either malay or bugis.

Click [ here ] for some examples.
At the same time, maybe you could modify the hilt base, click [ here ]. :)

zartane 14th November 2007 04:14 AM

thanks for the info.. anyway, i actually bought this keris while i was on a vacation in Brunei. during fasting month they usually have expo's and one of the booth was selling old kerises.. i got this blade for Dollar Brunei $20.00..

Marcokeris 14th November 2007 02:07 PM

Zartane
I think the prize is good and right (if Brunei dollar is the same of Singapore dollar: are 10 euro). How do you pay for dress and sheat?

Henk 14th November 2007 07:04 PM

Gentlemen,

We discuss weapons and their beauty on this forum. Money matters should be discussed by PM or email. Read the posting rules again please.

zartane 15th November 2007 04:24 AM

sorry for rising the price again, but it's not my intention to sell.. just sharing my experience and yes, brunei dollar and singapore dollar is in the same rate.. as for the dressing, i bought a new keris sold for tourist (cheap) and then threw away the blade. but ofcourse, i had to make sure that it fits nicely first..

Newsteel 15th November 2007 04:46 AM

Other than that javanese mendak, get a decently carved jawa demam hilt to compliment that beautiful sampir. A simple good one will do. That one looked 'so tourist'. That blade look Malay bugis.

rahman 21st November 2007 02:18 AM

Methinks the luks are too deep for a Malay keris.

Also, for a typical Malay sampir, the rounded buntut is inappropriate.