Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Wood type on Bugis keris (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23814)

Anthony G. 10th April 2018 03:41 PM

Wood type on Bugis keris

1 Attachment(s)
I got this bugis keris lately. Can't tell the age. Maybe 19th century. Anyone can advise me what type of wood it is used for this keris? The dress overall seems to be made for this keris. Thank you.

Rick 10th April 2018 06:25 PM

Pictures of the wood please? :)

David 10th April 2018 06:49 PM

It would also help to have more photos of the blade, including and over all shot if you were hoping for more feedback on it. ;)

Anthony G. 11th April 2018 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony G.
I got this bugis keris lately. Can't tell the age. Maybe 19th century. Anyone can advise me what type of wood it is used for this keris? The dress overall seems to be made for this keris. Thank you.

My apology as I think I messed up the first post and only one shot appears. Please see the rest of photo.

Roland_M 11th April 2018 08:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Hello,

if the wood looks like this example, it is called: "Trembalu wood".

Roland

Jean 11th April 2018 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roland_M
Hello,

if the wood looks like this example, it is called: "Trembalu wood".

Roland

Or rather kemuning?
Regards

kai 11th April 2018 12:29 PM

Disclaimer: Wood is extremely difficult to identify from pics, burlwood even more so...

Having said that, I agree with Jean that kemuning [Murraya paniculata (L.) Jack] is usually a good guess for Bugis sampir and often for hilts, too. (I'm fairly sure that Roland's crosspiece is from kemuning; I'd need to handle the hilt to gain similar confidence though.)

I do hope we'll see more pics of Anthony's keris starting this thread!

Regards,
Kai

Rick 11th April 2018 03:05 PM

Anthony, Your post with the pictures has disappeared after being passed.
Please repost the photos.

Anthony G. 11th April 2018 03:34 PM

photo

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick
Anthony, Your post with the pictures has disappeared after being passed.
Please repost the photos.

Silly me as 2nd post is done via iphone and screen too small for me to notice that the attachments size are too large to be uploaded. Sorry folks.

Please find the updated photo. :p

Sajen 11th April 2018 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kai
I'm fairly sure that Roland's crosspiece is from kemuning..

Jup, since I've seen this keris and handled it I can confirm that it's from kemuning. :) ;)

Sajen 11th April 2018 05:50 PM

Quote:

Silly me as 2nd post is done via iphone and screen too small for me to notice that the attachments size are too large to be uploaded. Sorry folks.

Please find the updated photo. :p

Hello Anthony,

the handle seems to be recent and from rather cheap wood. To determine the crosspiece of your sheath we need a plan picture, at best by good light or a flash picture, otherwise I doubt that someone will be able to tell you more, sorry.

Regards,
Detlef

kai 11th April 2018 06:03 PM

Hello Anthony,

Select a section of wood that is showing some grain (and any chatoyance if present): Take close-ups in full sun or very bright light (flash might do depending on the setup) of all 3 parts of the scabbard as well as the hilt. Make sure the pics are sharp and have good resolution!

There might be some packed grain on the hilt - possibly burlwood or otherwise "stressed" sections of timber...

Regards,
Kai

Anthony G. 12th April 2018 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen
Jup, since I've seen this keris and handled it I can confirm that it's from kemuning. :) ;)

Thank you for your confirmation, yes; bought thru an antique shop in Europe. And also thanks to rest of the members for your advice. Cheers

Anthony G. 13th April 2018 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen

Thank you all members for your advices.