Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Aboriginal spear head (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13363)

colin henshaw 20th February 2011 01:10 PM

Aboriginal spear head

2 Attachment(s)
Hi

Here's something a bit unusual for forumites...its an Australian Aboriginal spear head, that would probably have been inserted into a cane shaft. The use of different materials is interesting - European iron, wood, string (native-made ?) and spinifex gum...

Comments are welcome.

colin henshaw 28th February 2011 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of this type of spear in use, from the book "Australia's Aborigines" by F D McCarthy...

VANDOO 28th February 2011 09:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
THE METAL SPEAR POINTS DO SEEM TO BE LESS COMMON THAN EITHER THE STONE, BONE OR WOOD POINTS. I HAVE ONE OF THE METAL POINTS IN MY COLLECTION. THE INFORMATION WITH MY EXAMPLE WAS "OLD AUSTRALIAN ABORIGINAL N. W. AUSTRALIAN TIN SPEAR COLLECTED IN THE MID 1950'S. THEY WERE FASHONED FROM CANS, HORSE SHOES, FENCE POSTS." AND NO DOUBT WHAT EVER ELSE THAT WAS FOUND :D
MINE IS OF THE SAME FORM AS THE EXAMPLE YOU SHOW BUT SMALLER THAN THE ONE IN THE PICTURE OF THE HUNTER.
UNFORTUNATELY I DON'T HAVE PICTURES OF MY EXAMPLE BUT INCLUDE A PICTURE OF TWO EXAMPLES PLUS A FEW WOODEN ONES. AND SOME PICTURES OF STONE SPEAR POINTS FROM AUSTRALIA :)

Amuk Murugul 28th February 2011 10:46 PM

Hullo everybody, :)

Please bear in mind that one should avoid lumping Australian Aboriginals into one group. There is actually quite a diversity of them, each with a separate culture/language (language as opposed to dialect). They prefer to consider themselves as separate 'clans' or 'nations', much like Native Americans/First Peoples.
Also, the indigenous peoples of northern Australia have had many centuries of contact with peoples from the Archipelago (peoples such as the Baiini, Makassar, Boegis); since long before the coming of Europeans. Some have sailed, worked, married, settled there.
Furthermore, such contacts have brought benefits. For example, people from Makassar have left an indelible imprint on the indigenous people of the north such as, many aspects of their language, technology of: dug-out canoes, harpoons, metal weapons , the long pipe, etc.(The products of this 'new' technology were traded with peoples further inland, thus expanding their usage.)
Even today, people from Makassar and northern Australia hold reunion ceremonies to celebrate their common heritage; a chance for long-lost relatives to find each other and for others, a chance to get together.

Best,

colin henshaw 1st March 2011 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks to Amuk Murugul and VANDOO for their interesting and pertinent comments.

VANDOO, would you be able to post images of more of your Australian Aboriginal collection ? its an area I quite like...

Here is another image from the book "Australia's Aborigines" by F D McCarthy showing different spear types. Seemingly spear points were also made from glass bottles and ceramic power insulators.

Regards.

fearn 1st March 2011 05:11 PM

The other two constraints are that metal is heavier and more expensive than stone or wood. If you put a metal point on a throwing spear, then you've got to redesign the whole thing to get the balance right, and you've got the chore of getting the metal. And you may worry more about losing it, too.

And, to be very blunt, it might be simpler to get a rifle than to get or make a metal spear head. The Arnhem Landers do talk about using the two tool-kits (aboriginal and modern) after all, and a metal spear doesn't fit in either kit.

Best,

F

VANDOO 1st March 2011 06:43 PM

12 Attachment(s)
WELL YOU ASKED FOR IT :D
I THINK MOST OF THESE ARE FROM ARNIHIEM LAND, ONE PICTURE HAS A PIPE FOR SMOKING BETWEEN TWO SPEAR TIPS.

VANDOO 1st March 2011 08:36 PM

7 Attachment(s)
HERE ARE SOME SPEARS FROM GROOTE ISLAND. SPEAR TIPS USUALLY RANGE FROM 72 TO 94CM. LONG.

Amuk Murugul 1st March 2011 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fearn
The other two constraints are that metal is heavier and more expensive than stone or wood. If you put a metal point on a throwing spear, then you've got to redesign the whole thing to get the balance right, and you've got the chore of getting the metal. And you may worry more about losing it, too.

And, to be very blunt, it might be simpler to get a rifle than to get or make a metal spear head. The Arnhem Landers do talk about using the two tool-kits (aboriginal and modern) after all, and a metal spear doesn't fit in either kit.

Best,

F

Hullo everybody,

I tend to agree. It takes a relatively short time for an expert to make a set of practical hunting spears of stone, sapling, resin and kangaroo sinew.

Best,

VANDOO 1st March 2011 10:50 PM

11 Attachment(s)
OF ALL THE AUSTRALIAN ABORIGINAL SPEARS I LIKE THE ONES FROM THE TIWI TRIBES ON BATHURST AND MELLVILLE ISLANDS BEST. ITS WORTH A VISIT IF YOU ARE IN THE DARWIN AREA.

colin henshaw 2nd March 2011 08:07 AM

Many thanks VANDOO - a nice collection, did you find them yourself in Australia ? Any boomerangs, clubs etc ?

Best regards.

VANDOO 3rd March 2011 03:05 AM

UNFORTUNATELY THESE ARE PICTURES OF SOME OF THE ONES THAT GOT AWAY ON EBAY. :rolleyes: IF I WERE AN AUSTRALIAN ABORIGINAL I WOULD BE WHITTELING UP A STORM MAKEING THESE THINGS AS THE PRICES ON EBAY ARE ABOVE MY LIMIT AT PRESENT.
I HAVE A FEW EXAMPLES I HAVE PICKED UP ON TWO TRIPS TO AUSTRALIA AS WELL AS HERE AND THERE OVER THE YEARS. NOTHING TOO IMPRESSIVE BUT SEVERAL GOOD OLD ITEMS AND A FEW MODERN ONES. UNFORTUNATELY MY COMPUTER IS NO LONGER WORKING WITH EITHER OF MY DIGITAL CAMERAS SO I CAN'T TAKE PICTURES OF MY PERSONAL ITEMS. :(