Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   A strange (west?) Javanese Keris. (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24163)

Athanase 2nd August 2018 10:26 PM

A strange (west?) Javanese Keris.

4 Attachment(s)
Hello,

This is my last acquisition. As often, I like objects that show a bit of originality.
I find this keris very strange because the wrangka iras sheath is Javanese (West Java?) But the handle is rather in the style of Sumatra. :shrug:
The blade looks very old and measures 32.5cm.

What do you think?

Rick 2nd August 2018 11:09 PM

I like this keris very much.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ght=kebo+lajer

David 3rd August 2018 12:43 AM

Well, firstly i would agree with Rick that i also like this keris a lot. I'm not sure why i have always been so attracted to these kebo keris. I am the furthest thing from an agriculturalist, but i have always been fond of these elongated gandik blades for some reason.
I also love the subtle beauty of this sheath. If the color balance of your photographs is correct that red color is just marvelous and the darker marking beautiful. The sheath seems either made for specially adjusted for this blade as it seems to have a nice fit.
I like the hilt a lot as well, which has some very nice motifs that are well carved. I am not sure it is quite appropriate for the rest of this ensemble, but it is a nice hilt nonetheless.

Jean 3rd August 2018 08:30 AM

The hilt is in Jawa demam style from Sumatra.
Regards

Bjorn 3rd August 2018 08:33 PM

Might it not be a possibility that the hilt was carved in the very west of Sunda or in the very south of Sumatra?
There should be some overlap between those two areas considering the proximity.

Perhaps someone can recognize the style of the carvings to determine with a greater degree of accuracy from which region this jejeran hails.

Rick 3rd August 2018 09:12 PM

It looks like Palembang style to me.

kai 4th August 2018 02:55 AM

Quote:

It looks like Palembang style to me.
Looks rather Minang to me, Rick...

Regards,
Kai

kai 4th August 2018 03:00 AM

Hello Bjorn,

Quote:

Might it not be a possibility that the hilt was carved in the very west of Sunda or in the very south of Sumatra?
There should be some overlap between those two areas considering the proximity.
The Sundanese were very active in southern Sumatra - thus, no surprise that Sumatran pieces might have ended up there.

With keris hilts it is almost always risky to assume that any combination really is original though... :eek:

Regards,
Kai

Jean 4th August 2018 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kai
Looks rather Minang to me, Rick...

Regards,
Kai

The style of carving (nose, motifs, etc) do not look Minang but rather South Sumatra IMO although it is not a standard design.
Athanase, is the colour of the warangka original or dyed? (have a look deep inside the slot).
Regards

David 5th August 2018 04:23 PM

I tend to agree with Jean that the motifs of this hilt do not quite look Minang. :shrug:

Athanase 5th August 2018 10:01 PM

The color of warangka is like in second picture but just a little less shiny.
I don't think that is dyed because I have cleaned with acetone the glue of sticker with price and the color didn't change.
I just see wax on warangka.

Athanase 7th August 2018 11:03 AM

Inside the sheath the wood is lighter, but already a little orange. As with the majority of sheaths, I think polishing and waxing (or oil?) make the color of the wood darker and more intense.

Jean 7th August 2018 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Athanase
Inside the sheath the wood is lighter, but already a little orange. As with the majority of sheaths, I think polishing and waxing (or oil?) make the color of the wood darker and more intense.

The wood species may be trembalo Jawa (slightly dyed) but I am not sure.
Regards

Jean 7th August 2018 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by David
Well, firstly i would agree with Rick that i also like this keris a lot. I'm not sure why i have always been so attracted to these kebo keris. I am the furthest thing from an agriculturalist, but i have always been fond of these elongated gandik blades for some reason.

Another old & short kebo lajer blade with a kul buntet motif at the base.
Regards

Bejo 12th August 2018 02:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Also another kebo lajer keris from West Java

Regards,

Joe