Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My Christmas self gift (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24536)

corrado26 20th December 2018 11:46 AM

My Christmas self gift

4 Attachment(s)
It is a long sought Queen-Anne-pistol made by John Harman of London. 43 years ago I started my Queen Anne collection with a pistol of this gunmaker and now I found a second one of John Harman in nice condition. I hope you like it too.
corrado26

fernando 20th December 2018 12:24 PM

Yes Sir, beautiful :cool:.
I was hoping you didn't like it so much, as so i was ready to receive it, after giving you my address; i am not getting so many gifts this year :shrug:.
Enjoy your piece ... and Merry Christmas, Udo.

Jim McDougall 20th December 2018 08:19 PM

That is an absolutely beautiful pistol!!! and sure would like to have more of your insight on these magnificent pistols. From what little I know of these, of course I always think of their use among pirates (I see Blackbeard with his braces of these) ...but I know they continued in use long after Queen Anne was gone.
What period would this one be set in? It seems unusual to find two by same maker as these I have been under the impression are pretty hard to find.
Congratulations!!! could we see the other too:) ?

fernando 20th December 2018 09:44 PM

The buttcap, Udo; what metal is it made with? Could you show a picture of it ?

corrado26 21st December 2018 01:03 PM

9 Attachment(s)
First the butt cap and some other details of the pistol shown above. It bears the silver lion hallmark of London and the hall mark of Jeremiah King about 1730.

The pistol at the green background is my first Queen Anne in my collection and is also made ca. 1710 by John HARMAN with the early LONDINI adress. The type of silver mounts of this pistol are really rare, I never saw this very early sideplate and buttcap with other Queen Anne pistols.
corrado26

fernando 21st December 2018 01:13 PM

Großartig :cool: .

Pukka Bundook 21st December 2018 01:44 PM

Congratulations Corrado!

They are both beautiful and early pistols.
I must say thought that the first one you acquired is a really stunning example!
Beautifully filed up and finished. I particularly like the faceted body of the action. Very high end work!
I do not think I have seen the lion buttcap before. Lions, yes, but not This lion!
The sideplate I have seen, but would need to look up where.

Lovely pieces altogether!

Best wishes,
Richard.

NeilUK 12th January 2019 12:18 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Hi Corrado, just seen your pictures of 2 of your Q.Anne pistols, both of them very nice and highly desirable. I am inspired to try to match you with pictures of my 2 Q.Anne pistols, especially as one is by the same John Harman, tho' not in such good condition. The second, a pair, is by William Paris of Warwick with a crest on the escutcheon showing that it was owned by Wm.Beckford, Lord Mayor of London in the 1740s. I hope you like them.
Neil

NeilUK 12th January 2019 12:22 AM

Apologies - the attached pictures have appeared in the wrong order.
1 and 6 are the Wm. Paris pair, the others are the Harman pistol.
Neil

corrado26 12th January 2019 11:56 AM

Thanks a lot for showing your Queen-Anne pistols. It is very intersting to see the same sideplate as with my example of John HARMAN. Is there any LONDON adress on your pistol? In case you'd like to see more of my Queen-Annes please look at

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21904
corrado26

NeilUK 12th January 2019 03:47 PM

Thanks for reminding me of your collection, Corrado. It's truly splendid and makes me quite envious! My Harman is just signed JOHN HARMAN on the top of the breech section of the barrel and LONDON on the bottom of the breech section, next to the proof marks.
Neil