Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   yataghan translation (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14737)

Zifir 18th April 2012 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Dandi,

A supplement to Dom's reading:

Amal Mustafa Sahib Molla Emin (Amin) - Molla means religious scholar (usually in a small village / or a minor scholar in a city, speaking of course in 19th century context) I think the date is 1273 as Dom suggested it.

And yes, please I would like very much to see examples of famous Sliven (İslimiye in Ottoman Turkish) şişhanes. :)

Best,

Dom 18th April 2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zifir
And yes, please I would like very much to see examples of famous Sliven (İslimiye in Ottoman Turkish) şişhanes. :)

Hi Zifir and Dandi
Dandi, I look at your beautiful "rattail pistols", and we try to see/read something on barrel stamp ... hopeless :shrug:

I realized my total lack of knowledge about the "shishane or boyle", and Bulgarian weapons in general :o
also, I bought a book "Weaponry of the past" written by Nikola Daskalov and Vyara Kovacheva, and edited at "Sofia Press" :p
the book began be rare, and I found it in England, I could received it under 10/15 days
I got the references here on our site ;)

Zifir, could it be ... forecast at your convenience, a trip together to "Sirven" and around (with my car)
that seems not too far from Istanbul, could be a good program, and nice opportunity, may be to discover something ? :D

all the best my friends

à +

Dom

dandi 20th April 2012 04:27 PM

Hi Dom and Zifir,
It will be my pleasure to see you here in Bulgaria. I often travel to Istanbul. It takes 3 hours by car from Sliven to Istanbul. So, Zifir may visit Bulgaria to discover something :) :) :) It will be my honour to be my guest.
I will post here photos of Sliven shishane, but not right now, because I have some business engagements here. Please, excuse me for this delay.
I will post my address to Zifir in a personal message.
Take care!
Wish you well and have a good night, friends!
Dandi

dandi 20th April 2012 05:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Zifir,
Unfortunatelly it seems that I am not allowed to post you a personal message here, I do not know why. So I do not know in what way I may post you my personal data = I mean my address.
According to Dom's posting that he bought a book about Bulgarian weaponry - here I post a photo of the book that is best for him. It's name is Bulgarian weaponry in the past written by Todor Kozlovski.
Best regards,
Dandi

Dom 23rd April 2012 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dandi
According to Dom's posting that he bought a book about Bulgarian weaponry - here I post a photo of the book that is best for him. It's name is Bulgarian weaponry in the past written by Todor Kozlovski.
Best regards,
Dandi

Hi Dandi
thanks to care about me, but I have to inform you, that I'm a collector for "only" edged weapons :shrug:
in the past, long time ago, I was having a collection for pistols/guns , but due to French regulations,
I got rid of that collection, and now I'm (small) collector for Islamic's edged weapons, even,
if I still yet be interested by pistols/revolvers/guns ... but I am careful not to be too much tempted :p
I limited myself, to edged weapons from the countries, where I worked, or visited,
and no more than two items per kind, and I try and stick to that rule
the book that I ordered, seems to me, more focused on edged weapons, hope so that I will be not too wrong ;)

à +

Dom

dandi 11th September 2012 05:18 PM

a request for translation of the inscription of this yataghan

5 Attachment(s)
Hi Dom and Zifir,
I hope you had nice summer holidays.
I expected Zifir to visit me, but probably you haven't traveled trough Bulgaria.
I offer you below pictures of a sword, which belongs to my close friend and a colleague, to be discussed and to help me translate the inscription on it.
In my oppinion, as I look at the yataghan, it was made in Western Blkans, or more exactly, center Epirus. But I believe you will give me more precise translation. Looking forward to your translation.
Thank you very much in advance!
Best regards,
Dandi

Robert 11th September 2012 05:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello Dandi, I hope that you do not mind but I have added these in hopes of being of some help to the translators.

Robert

dandi 11th September 2012 07:24 PM

Hi Robert,
Thank you very much for the pictures added.
Sincerely,
Dandi

Zifir 14th September 2012 07:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi dandi,
Thanks for the invitation, I am not a traveler type but I would definitely visit you when I have a chance.
All the best,

dandi 14th September 2012 05:40 PM

Thank you very much, Zifir!
It will be my pleasure to visit me, because we live close to each other.
Hope you have received my last personal message and the phone number to contact me.
Regards,
Dandi