Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Please, help to identify this dagger (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22076)

carlos 12th November 2016 06:40 PM

Please, help to identify this dagger

5 Attachment(s)
Hello everybody!
This is my last adquisition. Is a beautiful dagger with 42 cm of total length.
The blade has a good engraving in both sides of blade.
The pommel is wood.
My first impression was spanish colonial, maybe mexican or Philippines.
Any idea is wellcome!
Thanks
Carlos

Sajen 12th November 2016 10:56 PM

Hello Carlos,

nice dagger but to my eyes it has a strong North African touch and I think North-West Africa but this is just my "feeling". :shrug:

Regards,
Detlef

Timo Nieminen 12th November 2016 11:02 PM

Absent the decoration, I'd guess it to be a naval dirk, probably Russian (who used styles like this from the early 19th century (if not earlier) through to the early 20th). Could easily be non-Russian, too.

carlos 14th November 2016 11:03 AM

Thanks for answer !! The Little engraved of the blade could be philippino but the handle could be african ...
Thanks again

carlos

Sajen 14th November 2016 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlos
Thanks for answer !! The Little engraved of the blade could be philippino but the handle could be african ...

Hello Carlos,

special the engraving don't look Philippine IMVHO, I would look in direction Mauritania or Senegal. Nothing by this nice piece let think me to the Philippines.

Regards,
Detlef

Sajen 16th November 2016 08:00 PM

Hello Carlos,

do you have some news regarding the origin of this dagger? :shrug:
I've researched byself a little bit in the direction I've proposed but don't find something similar, sorry.
But I am a little bit surprised that nobody else apart from Timo try a guess or have seen something like it. :rolleyes: ;)

Regards,
Detlef

carlos 17th November 2016 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen
Hello Carlos,

do you have some news regarding the origin of this dagger? :shrug:
I've researched byself a little bit in the direction I've proposed but don't find something similar, sorry.
But I am a little bit surprised that nobody else apart from Timo try a guess or have seen something like it. :rolleyes: ;)

Regards,
Detlef

Hello Detlef
I,ve reached about handle, looking for a furniture called bargueño with this type of engravings but I can,t find nothing.
Thanks in advanve for your help !!

carlos

DaveA 18th November 2016 04:22 AM

Northwest Africa

The dots and cross hatch motif is found in N. Africa. To my eye, the hilt and blade do not "go together" which means perhaps a custom made item or a happy marriage of hilt and steel later. The reverse quillions are hard to see well in the photos but they show European influence -- maybe Italy or Spain. The blade of the dagger seems Italian to me.

:shrug:

Good luck!

Dave A.

Tim Simmons 18th November 2016 04:43 PM

Spanish Sahara? The blade looks like some of those 20th century Toledo blades?