Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Help with yatagans' inscriptions (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4904)

TVV 14th July 2007 06:58 PM

Help with yatagans' inscriptions

3 Attachment(s)
A friend of mine from Bulgaria has several yatagans and he would love to learn what the transcriptions on them mean. Can anyone help, I would really appreciate it?
Thank you very much,
Teodor

Pictures of first yatagan attached

TVV 14th July 2007 07:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Second yatagan, and a stamp from the third yatagan.

Battara 14th July 2007 07:15 PM

W :eek: W!

Are those 4 rows of twist core I see!?!? Please show the rest of the sword! :D

TVV 14th July 2007 07:16 PM

5 Attachment(s)
And the inscription on the 4th piece, followed by pictures of the yatagans.

TVV 14th July 2007 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara

I am not sure Jose, I think this pattern is referred to as Turksih Ribbon. Whatever the case, it certainly took a skillfull smith to produce this lovely blade, and hopefully we may learn his name if the inscription is translated.
Regards,
Teodor

Battara 15th July 2007 09:08 PM

The second one with walrus ivory looks Balkan by the ear profile.

TVV 15th July 2007 09:36 PM

They are all Balkan, collected in Bulgaria, with details such as villages where these were found available for a few of them. Of course, they could have travelled from one place to another in the past, but I Believe they were all made in the Balkans. Based on examples, walrus hilted yatagans are generally from the Western Balkans, such as Bosnia, and in the Eastern Balkans the hilts are mostly from dark horn - predominantly cow or buffalo, although on one of the examples pictured, which has the smallest ears, the hilt is made of rhino horn.

Flavio 15th July 2007 09:49 PM

Hello Teodor, could you post some pictures of the rhino horn handle? Thank you :)

TVV 15th July 2007 11:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavio
Hello Teodor, could you post some pictures of the rhino horn handle? Thank you :)

This is the only picture I currently have.

Rick 16th July 2007 02:08 AM

All those blades are of Turkish Ribbon pattern; are they not ? :)

TVV 16th July 2007 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick
All those blades are of Turkish Ribbon pattern; are they not ? :)

Yes Rick, they are, or at least this is what they appear to be to my eye based on the pictures. It appears this pattern was quite popular on yatagans, which is not so surprising.
Regards,
Teodor

TVV 15th August 2007 04:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
With the hope of bumping this thread up in search of translations, here are two Kamas from the Caucasus, also found in Bulgaria, for comments. One of them has an inscription, and the other one a maker's mark with some writing inside. Can anyone read and translate them?
Thanks,
Teodor

rand 16th August 2007 05:18 PM

Book with inscriptions

There is a Russian Book with quite a few inscriptions on yataghans translated, but you need to speak Russian. There are also French articles of yataghan translations. I have heard a couple of the Russian book may be printed in English soon.

Always enjoy seeing a coretwist balde...

rand

TVV 16th August 2007 05:56 PM

Thanks Rand,

I do read Russian (which is different from speaking it) without problems. Which books is it - Astvatsaturian's "Турецкое Оружие"? I did not get it when I should have and I am afraid it is out of print now.

Regards,
Teodor

rand 17th August 2007 07:04 AM

Punch shape for inlay

Would like to point out the use of a retangular punch in a series of over lapping punches used to form the channel for the silver to be inlaid in the first yataghan posted in this thread. You can clearly see the retangular punch marks where the silver is now absent.

Thanks very much for posting these photo's,

rand

Richard Furrer 17th August 2007 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara

I count five on the upper and six on the next sword with a back and edge welded on as well.

Ric

TVV 11th December 2007 07:50 PM

6 Attachment(s)
I am afraid my friend has developped an addiction to damascus yatagans now and he is on a quest to acquire them all. Here is his latest acquisition and I believe this time the yatagan originates from Asia Minor as opposed to the Balkans. Here are some pictures along with the usual request for translation - I have not lost hope yet.
Teodor

Zifir 13th December 2007 10:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
The inscription is "amel-e elhac mustafa, sahib ahmed aga" [made by mustafa the pilgrim, owner ahmed aga]

the date is partly erased, I could only make out the number "88" at the very end, and it's probably 1288 hejira= 1871-1872

Zifir 13th December 2007 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This one is "tevekkeltüa'l-llah" [I put my trust on Allah]
The date is 1265 hejira = 1848-1849

The picture of the stamp is too small for me to make out the name, but it's clearly amel-e .......(Melik maybe). A bigger picture might help.

TVV 14th December 2007 03:06 AM

Zifir,
Thank you very much Sir, especially as this is not the first time you have helped me with translations. I will pass this info to my friend, who I am sure will also be very grateful. For me personally the fun of collecting historical weapons lies in learning as much about them and their history as possible, and putting a name to a sword or dagger greatly increases its sentimental value. Once again, thank you.
Teodor

TVV 24th December 2007 08:20 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here is another nice yatagan of graceful proportions. The blade is not damascus, but there are inscriptions in silver. As always, I would be very grateful to whoever helps translating them.
Regards,
Teodor

TVV 30th March 2008 08:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
And yet another yatagan, very similar to the previous one I posted in this thread in terms of style, blade decoration and hilt fittings. The band on the hilt and the bolster are almost identical. Can someone please help with translation? I am particularly interested in the names of the makers, as I wonder if these two yatagans could have been made by the same bladesmith.
Thank you very much,
Teodor

Dom 31st March 2008 02:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
sorry, because if arabic alphabet,
seems not be arabic language :shrug:
Turkish ? Farsi ? :confused:

à +

Dom

Dom 31st March 2008 02:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
translation
1266 Hegire = 1849 Gregorian

à +

Dom

Dom 31st March 2008 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Translation:
"done by Ibrahim Sa'heb
I go with God blessing"

à +

Dom

Dom 31st March 2008 03:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TVV
Here are some pictures along with the usual request for translation Teodor

Hi Teodor
sorry, but even don't seems to be arabic :shrug:

à +

Dom

attached; one pic of a series from 3

Dom 31st March 2008 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Teodor

translation of the upper part of the cartouche;
" 137 (then) I go with God blessing"
no way to found the sense of the lower part, sorry

à +

Dom

TVV 31st March 2008 05:24 PM

Dom,

Thank you very much, this is extremely helpful! I think the inscriptions are in Turkish, not Arabic. To me the date on the blade with the gold inscriptions looks like 127? instead of 137?. 137? would place it in the middle of last century, which is a bit too late, while 127? makes perfect sense.
However, by translating "I go with God's blessing" on both of these blades, you have increased the suspicion that these may have been made in the same workshop. If indeed the date on the longer yatagan is 137(1?) that would place it within 5 years of the other one. No conclusive proof yet, but getting closer.

Teodor

Zifir 31st March 2008 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It took me some time to recognize this formula. Finally thanks to a better script I was able to read it in another post.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5889

The inscription is:
Yemliha, Mekselina, Mislina, Mernuş, Debernuş, Şazenuş, Kefeştatayuş, Kıtmir

These are the names of Eshab-i Keyf (Seven Sleepers) and their dog.

Zifir 31st March 2008 08:52 PM

My reading is 1127 / 1715, instead of 127?. In some official and legal documents, I came across the cases when they just wrote the last three digits. But I am not sure about this one.

The last row is:

Sahib Mustafa Aga (owner Mustafa Agha)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TVV
Dom,

Thank you very much, this is extremely helpful! I think the inscriptions are in Turkish, not Arabic. To me the date on the blade with the gold inscriptions looks like 127? instead of 137?. 137? would place it in the middle of last century, which is a bit too late, while 127? makes perfect sense.
However, by translating "I go with God's blessing" on both of these blades, you have increased the suspicion that these may have been made in the same workshop. If indeed the date on the longer yatagan is 137(1?) that would place it within 5 years of the other one. No conclusive proof yet, but getting closer.

Teodor