Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pls. help ID a Panabas!!!! (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4138)

panday 16th February 2007 12:04 AM

Pls. help ID a Panabas!!!!

Won this off ebay recently. I'm aware that it is a Moro Panabas, but I'm clueless about it's origin (tribe) and it's proper use. Do Moro warrior's carry this sword in battle dispited of it's heavy weight?

Here's the link:
http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q...4ft%20%20long/

Weapon's dimensions
Over all length: 47"
Blade: 22"
Thickness of blade: 9/16"
Width accross: 7"
Handle length: 25"
Handle Circumference: 7"
Weight: 9 1/2 lbs

Thanks kindly,
panday.2006@yahoo.com

FenrisWolf 16th February 2007 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panday
Won this off ebay recently. I'm aware that it is a Moro Panabas, but I'm clueless about it's origin (tribe) and it's proper use.

Congratulations! I was wondering if whoever outbid me would show up here! :D

Can't help you with the tribal information, but as to its use, given how much larger and heavier it seems to be over the average example I've seen I'd guess it to be an executioner's weapon as opposed to a battlefield or ceremonial piece.

Spunjer 16th February 2007 04:56 AM

i believe this is a pangtuli-tuli panabas. the two distinct panggil by the handle is a dead giveaway...

Ian 16th February 2007 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunjer
... pangtuli-tuli panabas ... panggil by the handle is a dead giveaway...

Ron:

What is a pangtuli-tuli panabas and what are the panggil?

Ian.

kino 16th February 2007 05:33 AM

Ouch! I don't know about that Spunjer. I've seen a few Pangtuli-tuli Panabas in Mandawe.They were a bit smaller than the dimensions Panday stated. I remember a few Pisot's walking towards the guy with the Panabas. :D

panday 16th February 2007 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunjer
i believe this is a pangtuli-tuli panabas. the two distinct panggil by the handle is a dead giveaway...

So, I supposed that's pre-American accupation? Hah! makes sense......? Panabas-pangtuli nang mga haoli!

Thanks D're..... hugas kamay muna!

G. McCormack 16th February 2007 05:42 AM

I was watching this one too, congratulations, looks like a nice piece! :)

panday 16th February 2007 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kino
Ouch! I don't know about that Spunjer. I've seen a few Pangtuli-tuli Panabas in Mandawe.They were a bit smaller than the dimensions Panday stated. I remember a few Pisot's walking towards the guy with the Panabas. :D

Kino, according to Cato the Angel of Death Panabas "Malkalmaut" claimed over a thousand heads, now it puzzles me, I wonder how many Pisot's did mine claimed? Man, that's ritual.....

Bill M 16th February 2007 04:45 PM

PANABEAST!!

Don't drop that on your foot! :eek:

Nice panabas. "PanaBeast" Biggest one I ever heard of.

Spunjer 17th February 2007 12:14 AM

the panggil are those two protruding appendage on the blade closest to the handle, while pangtuli-tuli literally means to uncap, or take one's cap off, in iranun dialect..

ibeam 17th February 2007 01:50 AM

There's small iranun sub tribal group called Suppot tribe who were known to be fierce panabas warriors. They chew on medicinal herbs called bayabas before battle to enhance their fighting skills. After each battle, they jump into the ilog (river) as cleansing ritual to wash of the blood from the bagongtuli panabas.

panday 17th February 2007 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibeam
There's small iranun sub tribal group called Suppot tribe who were known to be fierce panabas warriors. They chew on medicinal herbs called bayabas before battle to enhance their fighting skills. After each battle, they jump into the ilog (river) as cleansing ritual to wash of the blood from the bagongtuli panabas.

From what have read, this Suppot tribe were once at war with the Kupal or the Maramdamin tribe. Un necessary war this was!

saint o'killers 17th February 2007 08:39 AM

:D is there supposed to be dry humor in this thread that i'm not aware of...???

pangtuli is a knife used for circumsission. it's a rite of passage to manhood. the bayabas leaves (guava fruit tree) is chewed and spat on the newly cut foreskin and then the boys would run down the river bank and jump into the water to wash off the blood...my dad and my cousins went through this ritual at prepubescent age...i remember my uncles always trying to scare me with such a tool. :eek:

i guess it can be used as a weapon. :shrug:

btw, "supot" is someone with an uncut foreskin...meaning a wrap or a pouch/bag.

zelbone 17th February 2007 11:17 AM

I'm here in Mindanao right now and was told by an old guy that to use that kind of panabas correctly one needs a byagra.

Bill M 17th February 2007 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saint o'killers
:D is there supposed to be dry humor in this thread that i'm not aware of...???

pangtuli is a knife used for circumsission. it's a rite of passage to manhood. the bayabas leaves (guava fruit tree) is chewed and spat on the newly cut foreskin and then the boys would run down the river bank and jump into the water to wash off the blood...my dad and my cousins went through this ritual at prepubescent age...i remember my uncles always trying to scare me with such a tool. :eek:

i guess it can be used as a weapon. :shrug:

btw, "supot" is someone with an uncut foreskin...meaning a wrap or a pouch/bag.

SOK,

Are we all talking the same language here? There are some words that have different meanings depending on the culture. "Datu" in Moro has quite a different meaning as "Datu" in Batak, and yet another meaning in Tamil.

VVV 17th February 2007 04:21 PM

Seems like Jon needs another revisit at the Freudian clinic? ;)

Michael

Rick 17th February 2007 04:41 PM

I'd agree ... ;)
Can't read this thread without a good shovel . :p

David 17th February 2007 06:48 PM

Now let me see...where did i put that Iranun/English dictionary... :rolleyes:

panday 17th February 2007 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
Now let me see...where did i put that Iranun/English dictionary... :rolleyes:

that alone is not enough, try the 'uki-ni-na-'mun and the 'u-tin-mo' version, it is more complete.

David 18th February 2007 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panday
that alone is not enough, try the 'uki-ni-na-'mun and the 'u-tin-mo' version, it is more complete.

Sorry Panday, that was meant as a joke....as much of this thread is also...
:rolleyes:

Bill M 18th February 2007 09:44 AM

A panabas like yours needs a strong master, Dodadagohvi and maybe a Lampirong, or kampilan. Not sure which came first. :confused:

Bill M 20th February 2007 02:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Panday, found a picture of the tribe and useage!

Battara 21st February 2007 01:22 AM

:eek: Those are mighty long panabas ( :rolleyes: ).

saint o'killers 23rd February 2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zelbone
I'm here in Mindanao right now and was told by an old guy that to use that kind of panabas correctly one needs a byagra.

now THAT'S FUNNY!!! :D

Spunjer 23rd April 2007 03:27 PM

i know a lot of you took this thread with a grain of salt, and i don't blame you; but recently an old "Weapons of Moroland" plaque was sold on eBay with a rather 'peculiar' sword. unfortunately, the example is missing. nevertheless, it's not accurate anyway. please look at the 4th photo down, between the balasiong and lahot.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2829&rd=1&rd=1

tho it's not the panabas version, it shows a variation of another rare moro weapon.

that is all.

Bill M 23rd April 2007 03:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think Ron is talking about this:

Spunjer 23rd April 2007 04:38 PM

yup, that's the one. always wonder how that one looks like as i've only heard about it..