Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sundang with an Interesting Mark on the Scabbard (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25411)

drac2k 6th November 2019 08:45 PM

Sundang with an Interesting Mark on the Scabbard

10 Attachment(s)
I recently acquired this Sundang. The scabbard had tape holding it together, so while I was removing it I found this interesting mark of an anchor running through 2 caduceus staffs. I am guessing that some U.S. Navy Medical Officer picked this up and marked it with the anchor. Could one determine the age of the sword by identifying the time period that this particular stamp was used?

Battara 7th November 2019 12:22 AM

Interesting Maguindanao kris/sundang.

I have seen some scabbards made of used wood, even with sea worm holes in them. Here this looks like some scrap from a European ship and reused for a scabbard.

drac2k 7th November 2019 01:00 AM

Thanks for your comments. I thought that the stamp might have been placed on the scabbard afterward because it is on a rounded edge which would have been removed(the stamp), had it been there before they shaped the sheath.

Rick 7th November 2019 03:32 AM

The marking appears to be burnt into the wood.
I have not been able to find an anchor device with a caduceus wrapped around the stock as this one is.
It also looks like multiple impressions. :shrug:

Kubur 7th November 2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick
The marking appears to be burnt into the wood.
I have not been able to find an anchor device with a caduceus wrapped around the stock as this one is.
It also looks like multiple impressions. :shrug:

Hi
This is not a caduceus but a rope.
It was stamped twice.
I saw this sign a the back of Chinese ceramics for the East India company but i dont remember where...
To me it's a good sign of age... really cool...

drac2k 7th November 2019 02:05 PM

Great different perspectives!

Rick 7th November 2019 03:33 PM

Interesting indeed. :)

Most fouled anchor devices have the shank and flukes entwined along with the stock.
What is the size of the impression?

drac2k 7th November 2019 04:13 PM

7/8" x 3/8"

drac2k 7th November 2019 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This picture somewhat looks like the one on the scabbard.

Rick 7th November 2019 09:21 PM

Talisman

That could be the right insignia.
Since I have an overactive imagination I'll guess that the emblem was burned into the wood with a red hot uniform button.

drac2k 8th November 2019 02:18 AM

Anything is possible, maybe even probable.

CharlesS 8th November 2019 12:37 PM

I'm just wondering if it might be a WW2 Japanese navy stamp that would have been marking it as a trophy or being shipped back to Japan.

:shrug:

Machetero 11th November 2019 10:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My money is on Drac and Rick.
Looks like a vague imprint of a US Navy Corpsman's button.
To me, it sure looks like a button like this was heated and used as a primitive stamp, twice.