Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Keris Warung Kopi (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Fine looking keris (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26287)

colin henshaw 12th September 2020 08:26 PM

Fine looking keris

3 Attachment(s)
Not my area at all, but I thought the keris enthusiasts would like to see this example that sold in England a short while ago.

I handled the item and was suitably impressed, great condition also.

Anthony G. 13th September 2020 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Not my area at all, but I thought the keris enthusiasts would like to see this example that sold in England a short while ago.

I handled the item and was suitably impressed, great condition also.

It is a beautiful piece.

Jean 13th September 2020 08:54 AM

Beautiful balinese kris indeed. From the pics the blade seems old (19th century?), the ivory scabbard in kekandikan style and the silver hilt depicting Bayu are probably more recent (late 20th century?).
Regards

Interested Party 14th September 2020 08:36 AM

What feature makes the figure Bayu? There isn't a gazelle or a double pendant. Is the flower/globe enough by itself or is it the mystery object in his other hand a tell? The second hand isn't making the sign of wind. Is there a representation of the north west I missed?

Jean 14th September 2020 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interested Party
What feature makes the figure Bayu? There isn't a gazelle or a double pendant. Is the flower/globe enough by itself or is it the mystery object in his other hand a tell? The second hand isn't making the sign of wind. Is there a representation of the north west I missed?

Thank you.
Looking again at the pic, the depicted figure is probably not Bayu indeed since he has an agressive look (teeth & fangs), while Bayu is normally shown with a friendly face (often smiling). It may rather depict Ravana or Ratmaja but as the piece is recent (kreasi baru), we cannot be sure. :)

David 14th September 2020 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean
Thank you.
Looking again at the pic, the depicted figure is probably not Bayu indeed since he has an agressive look (teeth & fangs), while Bayu is normally shown with a friendly face (often smiling). It may rather depict Ravana or Ratmaja but as the piece is recent (kreasi baru), we cannot be sure. :)

Indeed. As we have discussed many times before it is always a bit dubious to try to attach actual characters to many Balinese figural hilts unless there are solid and clear indicators for such identification.
This does seem like a nice Balinese ensemble. It would be good to see some better photos. I like the dress. Seems like a nice antique blade, but not really anything particularly extraordinary.
It would be nice to see close-ups of the hilt and of the base of the blade from directly overhead.

Interested Party 15th September 2020 03:17 PM

Is Jero Gede ever represented in Balinese hilts?

A. G. Maisey 15th September 2020 09:42 PM

Not to my knowledge.

I cannot recall ever having seen either of the Barong Landung as keris hilts, neither Jero Luh, nor Jero Gede.

colin henshaw 17th September 2020 03:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the only other image available, if of any use.