Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ALgerian Blunderbuss (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23895)

Cerjak 3rd May 2018 11:53 AM

ALgerian Blunderbuss

7 Attachment(s)
According to the seller this blunderbuss is typically Algerian because of the symbol found on his stock.
The carving also seem similar to kabyle algerian flyssa (flissa)
I would appreciate if somebody could confirm this origin.
Best
Cerjak

Kubur 4th May 2018 10:27 AM

Hi

The symbol is very crude and no very nice.
It seems to be a late addition over the carvings.
The lock is Tunisian to me, but the whole gun looks Algerian indeed.
Interesting leather feature next to the lock that I've seen only on Caucasian pistols.

Nice gun!

Kubur

rickystl 5th May 2018 05:03 PM

Hi Cerjak

What an interesting blunderbuss. Can you advise the overall length ? And the length from the trigger to the end of the butt stock (LOP) ? I'm assuming for the moment that it is of knee pistol size, but not sure from the photos. Thanks.

While I don't reconize the symbol on the butt stock, it was not unusual for the gun to have added decoration later on in it's active life. And that appears to be the case here.
The carvings on the wrist of the stock do indeed look similar to Flyssa scabbards. And the interesting leather hand/palm protector added. As Kubur mentioned, you usually only see these on Caucassion guns.
I believe there are two other pieces of evidence for Algerian origin: 1. The barrel bands, especially the rear two, are cut/shaped very similar to the ones you see on Algerian long guns. 2. The lock. The most common lock you see on Algerian long guns is the very large miquelet lock most of us are familiar with. The second most common is the flintlock styled exactly like the flat-faced lock on this blunderbuss.

With the evidence so far, this gun looks very much of Algerian origin. And a neat find. Overall, the gun appears to have seen regular usage. Not abused. Just continued use during it's life time. Nice find Cerjak. Let me know about those measurements. Thanks for posting.

Rick

Cerjak 5th May 2018 07:20 PM

Hi Rick and Kubur

Many thanks for your comments
This blunderbuss overall size is 78 CM so too big for a knee pistol.
The barrel has a Liege proof mark.

Best
Cerjak

rickystl 6th May 2018 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerjak
Hi Rick and Kubur

Many thanks for your comments
This blunderbuss overall size is 78 CM so too big for a knee pistol.
The barrel has a Liege proof mark.

Best
Cerjak

Hi Cerjak

OK, it appears to be made to fire from the shoulder. Shoulder length blunderbuss of Eastern origin seem to be much more rare. You seldom see one. I've only seen one come up for sale in many years. so again, a great find for your collection. Very neat blunderbuss.

Rick

Kubur 6th May 2018 06:42 PM

Sorry I wrote a Tunisian lock, better to say an English lock or a copy engraved in Tunis. But the whole thing is probably from Eastern part of Algeria, Kabyle.