Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Requesting Koummya opinion and source for wool cord (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14149)

lang 31st July 2011 07:16 PM

Requesting Koummya opinion and source for wool cord

3 Attachment(s)
Hey all,

my wife picked this koummya up for me for my birthday. We had spent some time in Morocco a few years ago and both really enjoyed it, so I thought the knife was a very thoughtful gift.

I'm guessing 1930's to 50's for the tourist trade based on the quality of materials and embossing. But I'm no expert, so what do you all think? It's about 17" long in sheath.

Also, I'd like to get my hands on some of the thick braided wool cord that is typically attached to the rings on a koummya like this. Anyone have any idea where to get that sort of thing?

Thanks much!

Henk 31st July 2011 07:31 PM

Very thoughtful of your wife. It should get a central place in your collection.
When my wife enters my room she is looking at the walls with a face like, anything new i didn't know?? And then the remark, "don't you have to sell some of that stuff???" I always reply, "no dear, it is so beautiful, don't you think so?" :rolleyes:

I don't think this is tourist stuff. The blade looks very good what i can see on the pics. Thick an sturdy. Not a cheap tourist blade. The whole peace looks good. I like it. But i'm not an expert in this field either.

Atlantia 31st July 2011 08:09 PM

Just wanted to echo Henks thoughts really.
I'm not sure of the date of this piece, but the quality of the blade is much better than the tourist grade examples that I see.
A very good present. Your wife seems to have a good eye! :D

Gene

lang 31st July 2011 09:28 PM

she is a keeper! She rolls her eyes at both my big hobbies (weapons and motorcycles) but she supports both like a trooper.

I was really happy when I pulled the blade out and saw it was actually a serviceable blade and not just a rusty piece of steel.

I thought maybe older tourist class because I've seen finer embossing and finer blades, but maybe it's more village quality than tourist quality?

lang 11th August 2011 04:05 PM

Does anyone have a source for the wool cord for one of these? Thanks!

AJ1356 11th August 2011 04:54 PM

Very nice, :) sorry not cord source.

Tim Simmons 11th August 2011 06:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Something like this. It is not antique but I do not think that matters. complete shoulder cord. The loop goes through the scabbard lug and held with the cord ball. PM or email me to sort out shipping.

Tim Simmons 13th August 2011 07:59 AM

Too late, its gone.