Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Small mystery knife (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15443)

Freddy 20th April 2012 01:21 PM

Small mystery knife

5 Attachment(s)
I recently got this small knife in a trade. The person who owned it thought it was native American, but I'm not so sure.

When I first saw it, I was more inclined to think it was from West-Africa.

This piece came with a leather scabbard in which covers part of the handle. A bit similar to Scandinavian knives (puuko).

It has a simple blade with a straight cutting edge. The handle is made out of wood with an iron ferule and a copper (?) pommel.

Total length of the knife : 21,5 cm.

Perhaps another forum member can help me to identify this knife ?

Gavin Nugent 20th April 2012 01:42 PM

Cameroon region comes to mind when I look at it, you initial feeling might be spot on?

Gav

Atlantia 20th April 2012 05:57 PM

Yeah, suggestive of Manding to me.

Kipinga50 20th April 2012 07:43 PM

Hello , I'm new on this forum, I'm a fanatic of african weapons and the must, I'm a women, and I present my respect for all others collectors of ethnografic weapons.
For this knife,yes, in my opinion it's Mandingo of Guinéa Bissau or a production of mali

Atlantia 20th April 2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kipinga50
Hello , I'm new on this forum, I'm a fanatic of african weapons and the must, I'm a women, and I present my respect for all others collectors of ethnografic weapons.
For this knife,yes, in my opinion it's Mandingo of Guinéa Bissau or a production of mali

Welcome to the forums Kipinga :)
We don't have many ladies with an interest in weapons who post here, so you will be one of the few ;)

Perhaps you could start a thread to tell us about your collecting interests?

Kind Regards
Gene

Dom 21st April 2012 01:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kipinga50
...snip... I'm a women, and I present my respect for all others collectors of ethnografic weapons. ...snip...

Welcome "Madame" :D
I'm fully agreed about what wrote "Atlantia",
it's really a privilege to receive a Lady, collector of edged weapons
I also, I hope so that you will start, soon or later,
a thread to tell us about your collection of ethnographic weapons?
best regards

à +

Dom

Lew 21st April 2012 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlantia
Yeah, suggestive of Manding to me.

I agree with Atlantia looks Manding to me also.

Freddy 21st April 2012 04:08 PM

Thanks for the input, guys. I was also inclined to think it was Manding.

And to Kipinga50 : Welcome to this forum :)

Perhaps the knife I'm showing is some kind of woman's knife, due to its size ? I know these exist in Africa, for example amongst the Mangbetu in Congo.

A.alnakkas 21st April 2012 04:28 PM

Nice little knife. I too thought that its Manding, but also thought that it may have been influenced by european styles?

Welcome to the forum, Kipinga50!

Lotfy