Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Clip point Filipino sword (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27448)

algrennathan 18th November 2021 12:53 PM

Clip point Filipino sword

Just wanna ask. Are clip point bolos endemic to a certain province in the Philippines, or were they widespread all over Luzon during the revolution. Just asking cause I'm just a but puzzled. There seems to be no standard configuration for these. Some appear in Pangasinan hilts, sometimes Tagalog, other times Ilocano. By the way I am referring to a fighting blade not some farmer implement.

kai 18th November 2021 06:18 PM

Hello Nathan(?),

Yes, clip point blades are quite widespread - there are some in the Visayas, more so throughout Luzon.

I believe Xas can show some nice examples... ;)

Regards,
Kai

Ian 18th November 2021 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
algrennathan,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting this question.

Just to clarify what you mean by "clip point." Are you referring to blades where the spine angles abruptly downwards towards the edge, but nevertheless has an acute point? Or are you referring to a blade which essentially has a blunt end, as if the point has been cut off?

To illustrate with a figure from Cole's early 20th C paper on the Tinguian people of northern Luzon. Are you referring to blades such as shown in #2, or blades like those in #5 and #6? Blades like those in #2 are very common throughout the Philippines, while those like #5 and #6 are less common but also found widely.

kai 18th November 2021 09:13 PM

Hello Ian,

I for one was referring to something like #2 (there are many different variations) - that seems to vibe with the OP referring to a fighting blade, I believe.

Regards,
Kai

Ian 19th November 2021 12:22 AM

Hi kai,

Yes, that was my interpretation of the question also. There are many versions of the sinan bartolome in Luzon that cut across ethnic groups and have prominently clipped blades. There are also the imitation 'Bowie" blades made widely for local and foreign use.

However, there are some fighting versions of the second type, including the "katana" of the Aeta in Central Luzon (as made by local Pampangans).

Regards,

Ian.

algrennathan 19th November 2021 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 267799)
algrennathan,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting this question.

Just to clarify what you mean by "clip point." Are you referring to blades where the spine angles abruptly downwards towards the edge, but nevertheless has an acute point? Or are you referring to a blade which essentially has a blunt end, as if the point has been cut off?

To illustrate with a figure from Cole's early 20th C paper on the Tinguian people of northern Luzon. Are you referring to blades such as shown in #2, or blades like those in #5 and #6? Blades like those in #2 are very common throughout the Philippines, while those like #5 and #6 are less common but also found widely.

Hi Ian.

Yes, I was referring to no. 2. Can you tell me more about this blade shape?

xasterix 19th November 2021 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kai (Post 267791)
Hello Nathan(?),

Yes, clip point blades are quite widespread - there are some in the Visayas, more so throughout Luzon.

I believe Xas can show some nice examples... ;)

Regards,
Kai

Thanks for the redirect Kai! Unfortunately I'm still expanding my knowledge in this topic as well. Although I've noticed even Mindanao has clip point blades too :) they're just not as easily recognizable (nor as common) as Luzon and Visayas clip points.