Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Unknown dagger need to get identified. (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24524)

Sajen 16th December 2018 04:11 PM

Unknown dagger need to get identified.

9 Attachment(s)
Hello dear members,

A good friend of mine asked me if I can post this dagger which he recently purchased at this place for comment since neither he nor I am able to identify it's origin and the possible name of this dagger.
Until now he don't have told me it's measurements but soon as I have them I will post them.
Any hints and comments are very welcome! Thank's in advance.

shayde78 16th December 2018 05:34 PM

If I may hazard a guess, I'd say it is a Indian-made hunting dagger made to resemble European models. Looks mid-1800s to me with a possibly older blade.

That said, i certainly defer to the more learned folks on here :)

Tim Simmons 16th December 2018 06:49 PM

It looks old and a construct. The thimble in the handle is a little odd. The blade looks aggressive but the handle with grapes and vines looks more like the handle of a table knife or bread knife.

kronckew 17th December 2018 07:04 AM

Some of the script on the blade looks Georgian. ;) Cool bread knife handle. The marriage looks like a success. :D

Kubur 17th December 2018 09:15 AM

To me it's an Ottoman blade reused for an European hunting knife

Sajen 22nd December 2018 02:14 PM

Hello, thank you all for comment and please apologize that I join in late like this, I've been very ill.
The owner thought byself that the handle is most probably not original to the blade and that it is a bread knife handle.
It would be very useful to know if the inscription is indeed Georgian!

Thank you again,
Detlef

motan 22nd December 2018 04:55 PM

Hi Detlef, sorry to hear you were ill and I wish you full and quick recovery. The writing is 100% Arabic, though it is somewhat unclear here and there. I will not try to read it because I would make too many mistakes. Ask a native speaker and he could read it. I am not familiar at all with this type of dagger, but without an example, it is very hard to say if it is a construct. The guard, ferules and the hilt seem to fit well together, so I am not convinced.

Sajen 23rd December 2018 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motan
Hi Detlef, sorry to hear you were ill and I wish you full and quick recovery. The writing is 100% Arabic, though it is somewhat unclear here and there. I will not try to read it because I would make too many mistakes. Ask a native speaker and he could read it. I am not familiar at all with this type of dagger, but without an example, it is very hard to say if it is a construct. The guard, ferules and the hilt seem to fit well together, so I am not convinced.

Hi Eytan, thank you very much for both, the get well soon wishes and the identification that the writing is Arabic.

I hope that someone will be prepared to translate the inscription! ;)

Best regards,
Detlef