Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Unusual Old Visayan Sword for discussion (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=28682)

Ian 14th March 2023 05:53 AM

Unusual Old Visayan Sword for discussion

4 Attachment(s)
I don't know if this sword has a recognized blade style, but it's definitely an old sword. The patinated blade is partly sharpened along the back edge, from the "notch" to the tip. Both the regular edge and the back edge have a pronounced chisel grind. The reverse side of the blade is completely flat.

There is an old forge-welded ferrule on the hilt and a crude iron guard. The rest of the hilt is wood with a down-turned pommel that looks Visayan.

The scabbard that came with it is simply two pieces of flat wood held together with string. There are signs where bands (possibly metal) were once in place. No clues as to its origins.

kai 14th March 2023 01:08 PM

That's an interesting one - congrats, Ian!

Also the medial ridge is unusual and I like the configuration near the notch.

In the good ol' times, we would had no qualms referring to it as a ginunting. Nowadays, I always wonder what category comes up next... ;) :D

Regards,
Kai

chmorshuutz 14th March 2023 02:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think the closest would be ginunting. Though first time seeing something like that. Most likely from Panay, but not sure which particular province, my bet would either be Iloilo or Antique.

Anyway, here's my recently made ginunting from Cabatuan, Iloilo.

Bob A 14th March 2023 05:21 PM

The blade appears to be flat on one side, and convex on the other, similar to a mandau. Is this at all common in this type of blade, or in blades from this area?

kai 14th March 2023 06:30 PM

Hello Bob,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian (Post 280178)
Both the regular edge and the back edge have a pronounced chisel grind. The reverse side of the blade is completely flat.

Ian mentioned one side being flat; I wondered whether it even might be a tiny bit concave.

Anyway, this (as well as the associated chisel edge) is a typical feature of Visayan blades (albeit certainly not limited to this area).

Regards,
Kai

SanibelSwassa 14th March 2023 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a recent addition to my collection… different guard but definitely same style and from the Visayan area.

Ian 14th March 2023 10:04 PM

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Just to clarify, the reverse side of the blade is flat (no hint of any concave finish), and the cross-section of the blade is somewhat triangular with a slight median ridge (as noted above by kai).

It is an interesting variant.

RobT 15th March 2023 01:00 AM

Modified?

Ian,

Is there any possibility that the false edge was originally level with the spine of the blade and was subsequently filed down? Perhaps there was damage to the tip or perhaps the user wanted a more acute and quicker point for thrusting?

Sincerely,
RobT

Ian 15th March 2023 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobT (Post 280226)
Ian,

Is there any possibility that the false edge was originally level with the spine of the blade and was subsequently filed down? Perhaps there was damage to the tip or perhaps the user wanted a more acute and quicker point for thrusting?

Sincerely,
RobT

Hard to say Rob. The general appearance of that area matches the patina on the rest of the blade. Probably an original feature of the blade I think.

RobT 15th March 2023 02:36 PM

In Any Event...

Ian,

No matter what, it's a really nice blade and I especially like the hilt. Very graceful. I can't recall seeing another like it. A simplified deity hilt variant perhaps?

Sincerely,
RobT