Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Big sized Indonesian Tombak (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13641)

Sajen 11th April 2011 06:43 PM

Big sized Indonesian Tombak

12 Attachment(s)
Hello Members,

yesterday I have won by e-bay this very big indonesian tombak, i think from Java. I have never seen a big one like this but the pictures tell me (I hope and cross my fingers) that it is an old original one. What do you think? Someone can tell me more? Pictures from the seller and the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Like every time many thank's in advance,

Detlef

Battara 11th April 2011 07:11 PM

Nice piece - would be better if you could etch the blade to bring out the pamor.

Sajen 12th April 2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
Nice piece - would be better if you could etch the blade to bring out the pamor.

Hello Jose,

the blade will get an etch and the sheath will be restored. Hope, that the blade have a nice pamor! :)

Regards,

Detlef

A. G. Maisey 12th April 2011 11:24 PM

A nice piece.

You know how much I dislike trying to classify blades from photos, but I think I'm prepared to offer an opinion on this one. Based upon the form of the metuk, form of rondha, and size, I believe this can be classified as Tuban. Tuban blades of all types were very substantial, and the metuk and rondha are much closer to Tuban form than any other.

I would hope that when this has been cleaned and stained we see Tuban material.

Detlef, believe me:- you do not want the blade to have a "nice pamor"; you want it to have a typical Tuban pamor which will be wos wutah or ngulit semongko, rather coarse, heavily veined, and smooth to the touch. If you're real lucky the pamor might be hair-like, and then we can attribute to Mpu Bekeljati.

Sajen 13th April 2011 01:11 AM

Hello Alan,

thank you very much for your comment! Have I written that I wish to see a nice pamor after staining? I wish to see a hair-like wos wutah or ngulit semongko! :D Now I can't wait to hold it in my hands. That are very good news.

Regards,

Detlef

danny1976 16th April 2011 01:41 PM

Hi detlef,

Very nice and intresting tombak you have .

Can,t wait to see it after cleaning and the stain :)

Sajen 16th April 2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danny1976
Hi detlef,

Very nice and intresting tombak you have .

Can,t wait to see it after cleaning and the stain :)

Hi Danny,

thank you but first I have to wait until I have received it! ;)

Regards,

Detlef

Sajen 16th July 2011 10:26 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
A nice piece.

You know how much I dislike trying to classify blades from photos, but I think I'm prepared to offer an opinion on this one. Based upon the form of the metuk, form of rondha, and size, I believe this can be classified as Tuban. Tuban blades of all types were very substantial, and the metuk and rondha are much closer to Tuban form than any other.

I would hope that when this has been cleaned and stained we see Tuban material.

Detlef, believe me:- you do not want the blade to have a "nice pamor"; you want it to have a typical Tuban pamor which will be wos wutah or ngulit semongko, rather coarse, heavily veined, and smooth to the touch. If you're real lucky the pamor might be hair-like, and then we can attribute to Mpu Bekeljati.

Hello Alan,

the tombak is stained and it seems that you have been correct, the pamor is like you supposed and the touch is indeed very smooth. What do you think, is it possible that this tombak is from Mpu Bekeljati?

Regards,

Detlef

Indianajones 17th July 2011 10:15 AM

Hi Detlef, nice piece also with that scabbard! I am no expert on Indonesian arms but it looks quite appealing. Although I do find it a bit worrying to have removed that wonderfull patine to see the pamor; but thats just me I guess. Did you know that with toothpaste one can clean very graduatly with the keeping of some patine? Congrats w your buy.

Sajen 17th July 2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianajones
Hi Detlef, nice piece also with that scabbard! I am no expert on Indonesian arms but it looks quite appealing. Although I do find it a bit worrying to have removed that wonderfull patine to see the pamor; but thats just me I guess. Did you know that with toothpaste one can clean very graduatly with the keeping of some patine? Congrats w your buy.

Hi Indiana,

thank you, the trick with toothpaste I know but keris and tomak blades need with a very few exceptions a proper stain!

Regards,

Detlef

David 17th July 2011 05:32 PM

Detlef, you've just been a staining fool lately... ;)
Another nice job on an nice interesting tombak.
@Indiana....collecting tosan aji weapons tends to follow different rules than many other types of blades. These blades are traditional cleaned and re-stained on a regular basis within the culture they come from and it usually is not considered desirable to maintain and aged patina on the blade surfaces. The pamor patterns are culturally important and meant to be seen, not hidden by years of dirt and wear.

Rick 18th July 2011 01:37 AM

I'm looking for a core and I don't see one . :confused:

Is this tombak made entirely from pamor material ?
I notice the methuk is integral .

Sajen 19th July 2011 05:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick
I'm looking for a core and I don't see one . :confused:

Is this tombak made entirely from pamor material ?

Hello Rick,

yes it seems like this. Here two closeups from pesi-side.

Regards,

Detlef

Sajen 10th June 2012 04:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here two pictures with the restored sheath!

Rick 10th June 2012 06:29 PM

Nice job .

Sajen 10th June 2012 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick
Nice job .

Thank's! :)

Indianajones 10th June 2012 07:55 PM

What a stunner! You do seem to have an <o> for 'jewels'
David; oke thanks for the insight; (yes am not 'in to' kerisses)

Sajen 10th June 2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

You do seem to have an <o> for 'jewels'

Hope so! :D ;) :p And hope that I don't losing it.

Dom 11th June 2012 12:53 AM

congratulations Detlef
even if my knowledge is nil, concerning these weapons
I may appreciated the artistic beauty of the blade and scabbard ;)

your refurbishment is really a must, and I like it,,
for me, handles, hilts, and blades, must be cleaned and maintained on a regular basis, as well as ... the scabbard
the edged weapon's vocation, is to be "lethal", also we must keep them in good order,
ready to use, and not as something, completely rusty and looks as a junk :mad:

the "patina" it's good, with bronze artifacts from archaeological material,
I mean being old for at least 10 centuries and more, green patina, even the brown, has a "charm", but
our weapons, aren't old as well, may be even, have been used by our great-grandfather :p
they should be proud, to see how we are taking care about them

thanks to have share with us

à +

Dom

Battara 11th June 2012 03:38 AM

Great work indeed! Love the pamor!

Indianajones 11th June 2012 01:23 PM

Sajen, actually I would love to know what this blade was actually used for 'tribally'. I read I am not d only novice on kerises etc. :D (thankfully)

Sajen 11th June 2012 04:29 PM

Dom and Jose, thank's for your kind words! :)

Sajen 11th June 2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Sajen, actually I would love to know what this blade was actually used for 'tribally'. I read I am not d only novice on kerises etc. :D (thankfully)

Hello Wouter,

can't answer your query with certain but I think heirloom and representation are a factor. I think tombaks are in this matter very similar with keris. Alan G. Maisey or our Indonesian members will be able to give a more qualified answer.

A. G. Maisey 12th June 2012 12:46 AM

In Jawa tombak were a more generally used weapon than the keris, and although a tombak can have a pusaka character, it does not encapsulate the same, or even similar cultural roots nor values as the keris.

For simplicity think "weapon". However, for a very long time that weapon has usually been kept without its shaft, which can be between 2 and 4 meters or more in length, making it very inconvenient to keep in an ordinary house, usually tombak are now mounted on short display shafts or as daggers.

Rulers and lords used to keep armouries stocked with tombak that were issued to levies in times of conflict, but ordinary people also kept tombak for personal defence as well as duty when called upon. In Jawa poorer people would simply use a sharpened bambu stake instead of a tombak with an iron blade.

Sajen 12th June 2012 06:37 PM

Hello Alan,

thank you very much for the given informations!

Regards,

Detlef

Indianajones 16th June 2012 10:06 PM

Indeed interesting. So originally I should 'picture these' with a long hardwood shaft and a brass ferrule?
I do know that this particular shape of spear (of Detlefs' tombak) is in many parts of Asia used specially for warfare. As for killing boar and fancy spears often have other forms. (if anyone has ever noticed n studied)

Best, Wouter

Sajen 17th June 2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

So originally I should 'picture these' with a long hardwood shaft and a brass ferrule?

Correct, the ferrule can be from silver also!

Sajen 17th June 2012 03:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

I do know that this particular shape of spear (of Detlefs' tombak) is in many parts of Asia used specially for warfare. As for killing boar and fancy spears often have other forms. (if anyone has ever noticed n studied)

Maybe it is important to add that this size of tombak is a little bit unusual in my limited experience.
Here a picture with two other javanese tombak from my collection.

Regards,

Detlef

Atlantia 1st July 2012 06:59 PM

It is a huge improvement.
Do different people use different substances to etch and restain pamor blades or would that be sacrilege?

David 1st July 2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlantia
It is a huge improvement.
Do different people use different substances to etch and restain pamor blades or would that be sacrilege?

I am going to be lazy here Gene and simply suggest to check the archives. We have has so many threads on keris blade staining along with discussions on the use of warangan vs. other possible staining methods. :)