Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Nice item.. have no idea at all (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13584)

artisana 30th March 2011 02:32 PM

Nice item.. have no idea at all

6 Attachment(s)
Hi again, i have bought this beauty recently in Indonesia. really nice.
Who can give some more info on this sword .. age, location, material ect ..

Battara 30th March 2011 03:52 PM

Best I can tell you is that it is Indonesian, perhaps Balinese?

ericlaude 30th March 2011 05:42 PM

Isn't it a derived form of Lombok Cundrik ?

David 30th March 2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericlaude
Isn't it a derived form of Lombok Cundrik ?

I think you hit this one on the nail head. Could be Bali, but i would lean towards Lombok.

Lew 30th March 2011 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yup it's a Cundrik/Sundrik from Lombok. Here is an older example from my collection.

artisana 31st March 2011 10:10 AM

age?

Any idea on the age of the arm ?

Lew 31st March 2011 07:25 PM

As far as age goes it seems mid to late 20th century to me.

Mytribalworld 31st March 2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artisana
Any idea on the age of the arm ?

between 10 years and brand new, sorry :shrug:

artisana 1st April 2011 12:24 PM

Ok thanks guys for the info .. Im new in this field and i am testing my contact over there ...

John G 4th April 2011 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandaukudi
between 10 years and brand new, sorry :shrug:

interesting how large the difference is in years of the age of the blade, going from 10 years, to 60 years old.

i would like to get some insight/reasoning as to how you have identified the age mandaukudi, and also Lew.

Im looking forward to some great tips and hints on how you guys have estimated the age, the method, or how you guessed the age. Which technique did you use :) ???

thanks for your input guys.

David 12th April 2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John G
interesting how large the difference is in years of the age of the blade, going from 10 years, to 60 years old.

i would like to get some insight/reasoning as to how you have identified the age mandaukudi, and also Lew.

Im looking forward to some great tips and hints on how you guys have estimated the age, the method, or how you guessed the age. Which technique did you use :) ???

thanks for your input guys.

I think Lew was just giving it a larger range for safety sake. Though a 50 span is not really a great deal of difference when it comes to these kind of things. He says mid to late 20th C. I wouldn't think this weapon is near 60 yrs. old. More likely late 20th C. The color and quality of the metal is one give away to the age (or lack of age) as is the finish to the metal. The dress is also not an old form for this type of blade AFAIK.