Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   African club on ebay (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2754)

Lew 13th July 2006 03:46 AM

African club on ebay

OK where is this one from? Seller claims it's Sudanese? My guess is that it's Mangbetu? Those dot patterns seem familar but I can't place them?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Old-African-club...QQcmdZViewItem

Lew

Tim Simmons 13th July 2006 05:18 PM

I am really not sure. I do not now if this has been rather vigorously cleaned of all patina.

katana 13th July 2006 05:28 PM

Hi Lew,
I bid a 'safe' amount on this club, like you I recognised the circular design...buy couln't place it. It was the patina...or ..lack of patina which I wasn't certain about. Perhaps Tim is right, ...perhaps someone has 'clean it up' :eek:

Lew 13th July 2006 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katana
Hi Lew,
I bid a 'safe' amount on this club, like you I recognised the circular design...buy couln't place it. It was the patina...or ..lack of patina which I wasn't certain about. Perhaps Tim is right, ...perhaps someone has 'clean it up' :eek:

I'm not that sure it was cleaned up that much but I will see the condition once it arrives. The final price was not that high so it was worth it to me.

Lew

katana 13th July 2006 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
The final price was not that high so it was worth it to me.

Lew

I agree Lew, with the extra postage to the UK ,included in the bid,we bid a similar amount ;)

Bill M 14th July 2006 12:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by katana
Hi Lew, like you I recognised the circular design...buy couln't place it.

The circular designs look like they could have come from the Lega/Warega culture. This small ivory figure is about 6 inches tall.

Tim Simmons 14th July 2006 05:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now I have spent a bit more time looking. I am not so sure about this being cleaned. I was a little concerned that brass knobs were missing. On checking weapons with missing brass knobs I think this club is a nice buy. As for the rings I have always thought they could be seen over much of central to south Africa. I think it could be Shona or there abouts maybe not as north as Mangbetu. Eye eye whats all this then. :D

Freddy 15th July 2006 05:55 PM

Hi Lew,

I don't think this club is Mangbetu. In fact, I don't think the Mangbetu used clubs. In 'Dodelijk mooi' (Deadly Beauty) the author gives following account of the Mangbetu's weaponry :

"The Mangbetu form the dominating tribe in the area. Their main weapons consist of a rectangular wooden shield, different types of spears and the Mangbetu sickle weapon (trumbash or mambele). They also frequently use bow and arrow and wear daggers."

(own translation from the dutch language)

The dotted design on your club is found from the Sudan, throughout Congo and into Tansania (perhaps as far as South Africa).

So your club probably originates from there....not much help, I'm afraid :o

Lew 15th July 2006 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy
Hi Lew,

The dotted design on your club is found from the Sudan, throughout Congo and into Tansania (perhaps as far as South Africa).

So your club probably originates from there....not much help, I'm afraid :o

OK Freddy

At least we are sure now that it's Arican :D

Lew

Lew 21st July 2006 07:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The club arrived today and I hit it with a bit of Briwax here are some better pics. I was not cleaned up just dried out a bit. Seems to be a mid 20th century club?

Lew

Tim Simmons 21st July 2006 07:43 PM

That was a good buy. I think it is from southern Africa. I like sticks and clubs. I have just bought one on ebay 30mins ago.