Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Oriental ethno powder flask (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2572)

fernando 12th June 2006 06:58 PM

Oriental ethno powder flask

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry to divert.
I don't find a model similar to this in the web or the few books i have.
Could it be Malabar, Indo Persian, ot thereabouts ?
It looks well used and a bit old ...
Would anyone kindly give me a track ?
Thanks a lot
fernando

ward 12th June 2006 07:57 PM

afghan charger

ariel 12th June 2006 10:41 PM

What tells you that it is Afghan?

ward 13th June 2006 03:03 AM

shape of piece plus file work on spring . will post some pics if I get time. This is a very nice piece

fernando 13th June 2006 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you Ward.
Quite a surprise this is Afghan, and so it seems for Ariel, too.
I am anxious to see those pictures of yours. I would like to see the use of that empty hole, near the spout cap. It would either be for another hook, like the existing one in the center, for a double suspended "lanyard", or for some device to hold the spout cap tightly closed. I hope your pictures will help to find that out.
Thanks again

ward 13th June 2006 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a quick pic

fernando 13th June 2006 11:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you very much Ward
Very nice and deeply interesting. They all have a common suspension system ... double hanging from paralel rings, the only basic difference between those and mine.
I wonder what is the use of that little portruding device in the container bottom. I see now that mine use to have one of those, but is cut off now.
If ever you get a bit more defined picture, kindly do.
BTW, any specific region in Afghanistan they come from ?
Thanks again

ward 13th June 2006 11:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some better images. I have to reduce the size of the photos so much I lose detail. Beyond being Turkoman I have never found a more detailed exact source in regard to cities.the bump protruding from the bottom of yours is the end of rod holding spring to container

fernando 14th June 2006 12:39 AM

Beautifull and informative set. Still lots of detail can be observed, including the genuine chain. It's amazing that not much gunpowder you could keep in these reduced flasks ... something i will search further. I think i will now hang my example next to my Jezail Rifle stand. Thanks again for your pictures and explanation.

Rick 14th June 2006 01:50 AM

I would venture a guess that these were for priming the pan rather than dispensing a pre measured charge for the projectile .

ward 14th June 2006 01:18 PM

yes I agree. It is used for priming. Much finer powder was used in pan than in the main charge.

fernando 14th June 2006 07:16 PM

Thank you Rick ... good shot.
You are obviously right.
I was silly i didn't think twice, i should have figured this one myself, if i first reread my own little resources in the subject. Not only priming flasks contained finer powder, as also prevailled in use for priming the casserole ( pan ) even when pre-packed charges were already carried in units ( later cartridges ) for the bullit loads.
Thank you Ward
Would you guess an age on my piece ? 19th century ?
I promiss this is the last question ... i am already exceeding the reasonable extension for a thread out of the Forum vocation ... and your patience.
fernando

ward 15th June 2006 12:32 PM

19h century sounds about right .

fernando 15th June 2006 12:42 PM

Much obliged