Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Golok for comments (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20178)

russel 4th July 2015 06:37 AM

Golok for comments

5 Attachment(s)
I am rather pleased with this golok which I won recently on eBay. I don't have it hand as yet, so following are a selection of the seller's images. I am keen to know what members think of it, particularly thoughts on its age and place of origin. The blade is 13" and 1/4 inch thick, OAL 18" (sellers measurements).

Russel

Henk 5th July 2015 10:32 AM

Very nice golok. Not sure if it has a pamor blade but it could be a pamor blade. It certainly has age and the origin is Java. I think based on the hilt east Java. I have a recent one brought back by my pencak teacher who travels home for holidays and bring back the supplies for practise :cool:

Sajen 5th July 2015 12:17 PM

Hello Russel,

nice golok, sadly are the scabbard bands missing. It's from Java like Henk said but I can't say from where exactly but I think that Amuk Murugul will be able to tell you more, maybe he can chime in and can give his opinion on this one.

Regards,
Detlef

russel 5th July 2015 02:27 PM

Thankyou both for your replies.

Detlef, would the scabbard bands originally have been metal (brass/silver) or rattan?

Sajen 5th July 2015 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russel
Detlef, would the scabbard bands originally have been metal (brass/silver) or rattan?

I think that it has had once brass bands. The patina shadows on the scabbard seems to confirm my guess.

russel 29th June 2016 02:44 AM

Restored

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of photos after Robert has performed yet another sterling restoration: closing a crack in the hilt and adding replacement scabbard bands.

Russel

mariusgmioc 29th June 2016 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by russel
Here are a couple of photos after Robert has performed yet another sterling restoration: closing a crack in the hilt and adding replacement scabbard bands.

Russel

Wow! Excellent job!
:)

Henk 29th June 2016 01:12 PM

Magnificent. Well done.

Sajen 29th June 2016 05:31 PM

Stunning different! But the real skill is to close a crack in horn! :eek:

Beautiful looking golok you have now Russel after Robert has had his magic hands on it, congrats!

Cheers,
Detlef

Marcokeris 29th June 2016 05:57 PM

nice :)

mross 29th June 2016 06:55 PM

Was any work done on the blade? If so would like to see it.

kino 30th June 2016 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sajen
Stunning different! But the real skill is to close a crack in horn! :

I agree.
Excellent job overall.

Robert 4th July 2016 01:42 AM

I would like to thank all of those who have made such kind remarks about the work done on this piece. I try to do the best I can in making these repairs and to the best of my knowledge use the same materials that would have been originally used.

Best,
Robert