Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T-handle Yatagan-zeybek for comments (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22018)

francantolin 24th October 2016 10:16 PM

T-handle Yatagan-zeybek for comments

5 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I've found this sword at flea market,
it was really, really rusty and I did all my best for clean it.
it's quite rustic, the hilt is made from wood ( part missing ) and has worm holes.
The scabbard is made from wood with brass mounts

I think it's an old turkish zeybek sword but I don't have any exact idea about age and exact use/origin
( some writings talk about greek and turkish ''pirats'' with these kind of swords )

removing the rust, the blade looks like damas ( wootz ?) , what do you think ?

Can anybody translate the engraving ? ( is it classic arabic calligraphy ?!? )

Kind regards and thank you

Francesc'o

francantolin 26th October 2016 06:40 AM

for the engravings: old turkish calligraphy orthography

Battara 26th October 2016 01:28 PM

Nice for a flea market find!

Are those mounts silver or brass?

francantolin 26th October 2016 08:10 PM

Thank you Battara !

I really like to ''dig'' in flea market and it's like a game when you buy an old rusty stuff for few money:
I supposed that under the rust there would be something interesting !!
this time it was not bad!

The scabbard mounts are from brass,
for the hilt base I dont' know: metal alloy ( maybe silver but I don't think)

Kind regards

francantolin 29th October 2016 08:55 PM

Somebody for the blade quality or the engravings ?!
Thank's

ariel 30th October 2016 12:45 PM

The date on the blade is 1292, which is 1875-6.
AFAIK, calling them "pirates" might be incorrect. They were landlubbers, operating as small bands within and between villages. Kind of Turkish Robin Hood- like foot irregulars, bashibazouks ( "crazy heads") , poor as church mice and having rather uncertain relations with any organized government. They particularly distinguished themselves as guerilla forces during the Greek invasion of Anatolia in 1919.

I have never seen a Zeybek yataghan with a wootz blade or even with a Damascus one. All, in my experience, were monosteel, very thick, narrow, long, curved downwards ( no recurving), with integral bolsters, cheap horn or wood handles crudely imitating classical Ottoman "ears", and with simple decorations and cheap primitive tunkou. The work of a village blacksmith, not of a sophisticated professional armorer.

Getting one with the original scabbard is great.

francantolin 30th October 2016 08:39 PM

Thank you Ariel for all the precious informations
and for the date transcription !!

Best wishes

Martin Lubojacky 30th October 2016 10:03 PM

Hi francantolin,

The "tunkou" is probably made of lead. The zigzag motive was allegedly common around the beginning of 20th century (and it continues till now). I think both were common at. beg. 20th. Are you sure the handle is made of wood _ Isnīt it horn ? Re. blade - I have also seen several nice blades made of mechanical damascuss (Turkish Ribbon) utilized with this "Zeybek Yathagans" (either nice old blade and crude rest of the wsord /I have one like this/ - or also something like "classy" Zeybeks, usually very long, even with silver fittings on the scabbard). Based on what Ariel writes - the blade is probably older than the rest of the sword, but, it does not look like damascus, really.
To find even "crude" T-handled yathagan with not damaged original scabbard is not easy.
Martin

Miguel 3rd November 2016 11:22 AM

Hi Francesco, Nice find, a weapon made to be used. Ariel has said it all but I would just add that the Yatagan was the primary weapon of the Zeibeks although they also carried firearms. I that they originated from the Thracians. There is loads of informat on them online. Thanks for sharing.
Regards
Miguel

francantolin 4th November 2016 12:36 PM

Hello and thank you everybody !!

I'll gently restore the wooden part of the scabbard ( small part missing ) I hesitate to leave it like that, paint it in green with old pigments
or cover it with leather. ( what do u think ? )

I'll post pictures when it will be done

Best wishes