Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Opinion on a Gurade and translation (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2472)

Valjhun 28th May 2006 02:43 PM

Opinion on a Gurade and translation

4 Attachment(s)
I've been offered recently that sword. What do you think. The seller says that has a rhino hilt and that it is stamped with 102. I would guess European, maybe french provenance. Oddly curved and chiseled for a abyssinian weapon... I would say 20' or 30' officer private purchase or something like that.

What do you think?

Further, can anybody transalte that inscription?

Tim Simmons 28th May 2006 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice sword, it is a shame that it has lost its scabbard. I do not think the decoration is cut. I am not sure but I think it is deeply etched using some form of flexible template that fits over the contours of blade and an acid gel or paste. At least that seems the way it has been done on this German sword made for Abyssinia. It could be French, German, or British. It looks like it could be one of the Wilkinson patterns. Personally I do not think it is Rhino horn. A very nice thing to have, at the right price mind.

Battara 28th May 2006 07:25 PM

Once again, Tim, you are on the money. :) The markings on the blade are indeed acid resist etched. A lot easier, cheaper, and quicker than engraving.

Very nice piece, the nicest shotel or shotel like Ethiopian sword of this type I've seen. Love the fullering and blade. Could the hilt be made of dark aged rhino horn? Also can anyone read the Coptic script?

spiral 28th May 2006 10:30 PM

Looks wonderfull! any close ups of the end grain on the hilt?

Spiral

Valjhun 29th May 2006 01:23 PM

I'll post the photos as soon I recive the sword. From thoose it is impossible to say if it is rhino hilt or not.

Anybody reads Kopt?

roanoa 31st May 2006 07:17 AM

Hi. The hilt does seem to be rhino. I am pretty sure it is. I'll have the inscription translated and I'll let you know ASAP. The pattern is German, definetely not a Wilkinson. I have seen 4 more of this pattern, but none (too bad for me....) for sale. One had the scabbard, which was of course quite ugly because of the need to accomodate such a massive blade. It looked like an oversized Kukri scabbard. It is a great find. Keep me in mind for a trade with a good Wilkinson should you decide to part from it???. Cheers, RON

Valjhun 31st May 2006 10:49 AM

Hi Ron,

Well if you have THAT Wilkinson in mind, we have a deal. :D

I'm reciving that sword today or tomorrow by post, I'll take closer pictures and try to foto the grain.

Thank you verry much. I really can't wait to se the translation.

all the best

roanoa 1st June 2006 05:22 AM

Well, I drew a blank... The writing reads DEJAZMACH KONT LEWONTIF, but my Ethiopian connection can't make any sense out of it. The only identifiable word is DEJAZMACH which is an honorific title. The other two words could be his name, but if they are a person's name they are not Ethiopian. Which leaves the possibility that they are in fact two Ge'ez words of a very obscure meaning. Sorry. I'll keep investigating.