Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Twin Algerian or Moroccan knives from different Makers ? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17561)

drac2k 29th August 2013 10:54 PM

Twin Algerian or Moroccan knives from different Makers ?

11 Attachment(s)
About 4 months ago, I bought what I thought to be a well made Moroccan or Algerian Dagger;I had never seen a knife like this.It is very well made, with a polished, wire inlaid horn handle, A fine sharp, inscribed , fullered, clip point blade over 13 & 1/4 ".What I really liked about it was the wonderful old repair made to the blade ;somebody thought enough to fix this knife rather than throw it away or repoint it.This knife came from an old Florida collection.
I was very surprised about a month ago, to see a similar blade go up for auction in Pa..This knife is almost identical, but not quite as shown. It is also longer.It has an old worn scabbard.
My question to the forum is what exactly are they & from where.Are they common(I get suspicious anytime I see two of the same thing).I also took a picture of a Kris that I acquired recently and while I don't believe that it is anything special, I would like your collective opinions before I stupidly trade it away.

Rick 29th August 2013 11:36 PM

IIRC, the knives are called Shula; the keris has most of its value in the handle .
Please post it in the Keris forum for more discussion . :)

drac2k 30th August 2013 04:33 AM

Thanks for the information;now that I have a name, I can do some research.

Sajen 30th August 2013 12:53 PM

Two nice Shula! :)

The keris scabbard is from East Java/Madura but the leaf in front of the scabbard is broken away and recarved. Blade is IMHO also Madura origin and have some age. The Donoriko handle from ivory is demaged, I have followed the ebay auction so I have seen the demage by the auction pictures.

Regards,

Detlef

drac2k 30th August 2013 01:06 PM

I appreciate the information, but this Kris wasn't on ebay,I got it on a phone bid @ Jones auction in Pa. with some other blades.You are correct, in that I think there may be some insect damage/broken elements in the handle and /or it has been recarved.The scabbard seems to be intact. I didn't take very good pictures of the Kris, so I can see why someone could mistake it for a similar one.
Thanks again for the information!

Sajen 30th August 2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drac2k
I appreciate the information, but this Kris wasn't on ebay,I got it on a phone bid @ Jones auction in Pa. with some other blades.You are correct, in that I think there may be some insect damage/broken elements in the handle and /or it has been recarved.The scabbard seems to be intact. I didn't take very good pictures of the Kris, so I can see why someone could mistake it for a similar one.
Thanks again for the information!

Sorry, the keris by the ebay auction was very similar, the leaf in front was also broken away and the handle have had a similar demage.

Please follow Rick's advice and post pictures from the keris in the keris forum.

Regards,

Detlef

drac2k 30th August 2013 01:40 PM

Will do; I'm still fairly new and getting the hang of this great site.