Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tulwar with pronounced Yelman. (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15756)

A.alnakkas 4th July 2012 01:30 PM

Ibrahim, the info about the use of the 33/99 (commonly used in prayer beads) in moghul items seems interesting. Soon I might have a wootz tulwar with such dome design will share photos once its here.

Though 100th 'secret' name is untrue, no such a thing exist ;-) Qur'an suggests that there are other names than what is mentioned in the Qur'an but it could be 100, or 101 or 1000000 if you know what I mean.

(maybe something like that developed as folklore amongst south east asian muslims but that hardly counts as Islamic)

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 4th July 2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Ibrahim, the info about the use of the 33/99 (commonly used in prayer beads) in moghul items seems interesting. Soon I might have a wootz tulwar with such dome design will share photos once its here.

Though 100th 'secret' name is untrue, no such a thing exist ;-) Qur'an suggests that there are other names than what is mentioned in the Qur'an but it could be 100, or 101 or 1000000 if you know what I mean.

(maybe something like that developed as folklore amongst south east asian muslims but that hardly counts as Islamic)

Salaams A.alnakkas Quite right in terms of the folk lore angle I agree but it is a story that exists of the name belonging to a camel (said to be Gods greatest gift) that is a secret... no one knows it... but "it is said that" the camel is descended from a djinn~ I would expect to see a lot more Talismanic inscriptions unwind as the continuing episode on Islamic swords unfolds. Anyway ~ the main part of the story is about the geometric relationship of the numbers 33 and 99 which is only a small part of the geometric pattern conundrum but important in this case as it could never appear on a sword of non Islamic linkage... In this case it must be Mughul.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 4th July 2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Thank you Ibrahiim for you answer. People should learn something new every day they live, and I did to day.

Your explanation seems to be a valid one, on that should be looked more into.

The more I have read about Indian art, architecture, weapons, geography, mining and what do I know, the less I seem to know – as the more you know, the more unanswered questions seem to pop up.

My wish is, that more collectors would realise this.

Btw what does Yaa Ustad mean?

Jens

Salaams ALL ~ Yaa Ustad is a commonly used term of respect meaning ~ Oh Master .
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Ibrahiim al Balooshi 5th July 2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
Thank you Ibrahiim for you answer. People should learn something new every day they live, and I did to day.

Your explanation seems to be a valid one, on that should be looked more into.

The more I have read about Indian art, architecture, weapons, geography, mining and what do I know, the less I seem to know – as the more you know, the more unanswered questions seem to pop up.

My wish is, that more collectors would realise this.

Btw what does Yaa Ustad mean?

Jens

Salaams Jens Nordlunde ~It may, however, not be associated only in Islamic rituals since my research on Hindu numbers indicates it too has a certain affection with the number 33 ~

330 million gods

"It is said that" Hindus believe there are 330 million deities. In the Vedas, Thirty-three gods are listed. This is followed by the Sanskrit word koti, which is used for "class" but can also be used for a number equal to 10 million. According to one view, some scholars misinterpreted the word koti - which is meant to mean "class", claiming that there are 330 million gods within Hinduism. Another view contends that 330 million is a figure symbolizing infinity, indicating infinite forms of God.

So today I learn something !

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Norman McCormick 5th July 2012 04:31 PM

Hi Ibrahiim,
Thank-you for your continued interest, it is gratifying that we are all learning post by post. It is appreciated.
My Regards,
Norman

eric45 10th July 2012 03:54 AM

Nice sword.