Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Help to ID a dagger (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27502)

Conduit 11th December 2021 11:35 AM

Help to ID a dagger

5 Attachment(s)
Would you help me to ID this dagger, please.
The crossguard appears to be made of some sort of alabaster kind of material, pommel is of wood and grip section is of carved stone. Judging by the symbols I guess it may be of Korean origin but I am not too confident about it.

mariusgmioc 11th December 2021 06:47 PM

I cannot tell you where this dagger comes from but certainly doesn't have anything Korean in it.

From the photos the crossguard appears to be rhino horn and the blade appears to be made from a sword's repurposed blade.

Let's hope that others can tell you more.

Conduit 11th December 2021 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariusgmioc (Post 268192)
From the photos the crossguard appears to be rhino horn and the blade appears to be made from a sword's repurposed blade.

Thanks for your opinion. You may well be right and crossguard is some sort of horn. I doubt this is rhino horn, though, as it would be too good.

Ian 11th December 2021 10:00 PM

The braided narrow rattan strips have a strong mainland SE Asian/southern Chinese flavor. The carved ivory(?) grip appears to have some Chinese influence also. A rhino guard is a bit of an anomaly, but rhino horn can be found via trade in some SE Asian areas (e.g., Malaysia)--buffalo horn is more common. The dagger blade with a central rib might suggest a Chinese, Indonesian, or even western influence (such as French).

An interesting dagger. Philip might be able to place it better for you. My best guess is SE Asian/southern Chinese, possibly from Vietnam (Cochin). It appears to have some age and might date to the period of French IndoChina.

On the other hand, I could be way off the mark. :)

Rick 11th December 2021 10:09 PM

Horn of Africa

The horn guard (Rhino?) and the domed pommel are quite similar to elements seen on Shotel handles.
A 'married' piece?

Bob A 11th December 2021 10:49 PM

The grip looks more like bone than ivory to me, and has a certain African flavor in the carving. the pommel cap looks like copper to me, and again points to Africa, in my uninformed lack of expertise.

The blade was probably re-purposed. The rattan stumps me.

Interesting knife. Where did you find it?

kronckew 12th December 2021 02:27 AM

The blade looks like it has it's central 'ridge' from a slight overlap of two blade halves forge welded together, an african technique.:confused:

colin henshaw 12th December 2021 08:09 AM

It really looks like a fairly recent made-up piece (perhaps by a hobbyist ?). The blade from an African Shona spearhead or knife, the carved bone hilt with a mixture of Chinese and African inspired decoration. All artificially stained to give the impression of age.

kronckew 12th December 2021 08:58 AM

4 Attachment(s)
When I mentioned 'african' above, I was thinkng 'Shona', as in my isizenze stabbing axe/ or a bakatwa knife/sword (not mine).