Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   moro armor? (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17564)

bathala 31st August 2013 07:33 AM

moro armor?

1 Attachment(s)
hi guys! once again i need help. this came by being offered to me. owner only know it as an armor lot. could i be moro? with my limited knowledge of the moro armor variants, (even though i myself am filipino) i would like to ask for your help. its weird olso that i has this crutch protector of some sort and this basic iron helmet. thanks in advance!

Spunjer 31st August 2013 12:59 PM

yeah, it's moro, or better yet, a modern representation of a moro armor. i've seen something similar at the Aldevenco tourist shops in Davao. hope that helps..

Battara 31st August 2013 11:22 PM

I agree - modern made armor. Not at all the original stuff. Stay far away.

bathala 1st September 2013 02:34 AM

thank you sirs! dont worry i will!

FilAmfighter1 1st September 2013 05:06 AM

Nice repro!

I have friend who has the same type, got it in shop in the PI, I pictures of my son when he was ten, wearing it!

VANDOO 1st September 2013 05:27 PM

THESE ITEMS WOULD BE SUITABLE FOR WEARING IN PARADES IF THEY ARE WELL CONSTRUCTED AND DON'T FALL APART BUT NOT VERY COLLECTABLE OR IMPRESSIVE AS A DISPLAY. MANY PLACES IN THE WORLD STILL MAKE REPLICA UNIFORMS AND SUCH FOR CEREMONY AND REINACTMENT GROUPS. THEY STILL MAKE GOOD AUTHENTIC CIVIL WAR AND REVOLUTINARY WAR UNIFORMS HERE IN THE USA FOR REINACTMENT GROUPS.

russel 1st September 2013 08:28 PM

For the less well informed amongst us, could someone please list the features of this armour which indicate that it is not the real deal.

Cheers - Russel

Maurice 1st September 2013 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by russel
For the less well informed amongst us, could someone please list the features of this armour which indicate that it is not the real deal.

Cheers - Russel

Here's the moro armour I've owned.
Unfortunately I traded it years ago, and I wouldn't have done it if I didn't get in return what I still own nowadays... :-)

russel 1st September 2013 09:18 PM

Thanks Maurice,

The comparison make the distinction quite plain.

VANDOO 1st September 2013 09:46 PM

11 Attachment(s)
HERE ARE A FEW MORE EXAMPLES OF ARMOR AND A COUPLE OF HELMETS ONE OF TURTLE SHELL (IN A SPANISH MUSEUM) AND ANOTHER OF HORN AND CANE. ONE PICTURE OF FESTIVAL ARMOR IN LUZON. THE PICTURE WITH ARMOR AND HELMET MADE OF BRASS IS LIKELY PARADE ARMOR AS WELL BUT WELL MADE. USING THE FORUM SEARCH YOU CAN FIND MORE INFORMATION.
THE NEW ARMOR IS EASILY MADE AND OF THIN METAL WITH NO CHAIN MAIL OR LEATHER EVEN THE KNIFE IS POORLY MADE AND FOR DISPLAY ONLY.

Battara 1st September 2013 11:31 PM

Basically Moro armor was made to be used and take hits. The newer stuff won't last at all if used in battle.

Also most Moro armor was made of carabao horn plates (sometimes brass) and 4-in-1 pattern bronze chain maille.

Only datus would have the wealth and status to wear armor.