Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My new talibon from Auctions Imperial (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15291)

Sajen 19th March 2012 07:16 PM

My new talibon from Auctions Imperial

5 Attachment(s)
Hello,

like Steve I am also win something by Auctions Imperial, Timonioum. Since the prices for Visayan blades rise up enormously I have tried to get it more cheaply and win this nice piece (I think so) for a good price.
Only the small "eye" at end of the scabbard seems to be missing.
Here the original link: https://www.auctionflex.com/showlot....enum=1&lang=En

What do you think?

Best regards,

Detlef

VANDOO 19th March 2012 08:14 PM

A VERY NICE EXAMPLE AND IN ALMOST PERFECT SHAPE, EVEN THE FIBER WRAPS ARE IN EXCELLENT SHAPE. THE LARGE ONES ARE GETTING HARD TO FIND ESPECIALLY ONES WITH GOOD CARVING ON HANDLE AND SCABBARD. CONGRADULATIONS! :)
RICK AND JOSE AND CHARLES HAVE HAD SOME OF THESE PERHAPS THEY CAN TELL YOU WHAT THE EYE IS MADE OF SO IT CAN BE PROPERLY REPLACED.

Battara 19th March 2012 08:47 PM

Barry on my example the "eye" at the end is made of a peg of horn and a small disc of mother-of-pearl. Very common on these.

BTW - Sajen nice piece and more complete. Nothing broken.

Sajen 19th March 2012 09:52 PM

Thank you Barry and Jose! And special thank to Jose how the eye is built up.

Regards,

Detlef

Sajen 19th March 2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battara
BTW - Sajen nice piece and more complete. Nothing broken.

And much cheaper!! :D ;)

RSWORD 20th March 2012 02:56 AM

I had an opportunity to handle this one in person. I think you will be pleased with it. It has a substantial blade. While the hilt and scabbard are not the finest of carving that these can be found, it is still a nice and earlier example. I would place it to the early 20th century century. The blade is quite nice on this one and overall a good size piece. Congratulations!

VANDOO 20th March 2012 03:36 AM

THERE IS A GOOD PICTURE OF THE EYE IN THE POST DID ANYONE HERE GET THIS TALIBION/GARIB. SAJEN HAS GOOD PICTURES OF HOW IT IS MADE AND MOUNTED FRONT AND BACK. I ASSUME THE HORN IS WATER BUFFALOW AND THAT PEARL SHELL OR IVORY OR BONE COULD BE USED FOR THE OTHER PART.

Ferguson 20th March 2012 07:53 AM

Like Rick, I too handled this one. You will love it!
Steve

Sajen 20th March 2012 04:51 PM

Steve and Rick, thank you! Good that you both have had it in hand, so I know already that it is a good one. Agree with Rick that it could be a early 20th century. And good also that it have a thick blade!

Regards,

Detlef

Sajen 20th March 2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANDOO
THERE IS A GOOD PICTURE OF THE EYE IN THE POST DID ANYONE HERE GET THIS TALIBION/GARIB. SAJEN HAS GOOD PICTURES OF HOW IT IS MADE AND MOUNTED FRONT AND BACK. I ASSUME THE HORN IS WATER BUFFALOW AND THAT PEARL SHELL OR IVORY OR BONE COULD BE USED FOR THE OTHER PART.

You're right Barry, when I have posted the pictures in the other thread I have seen this as well and direct know that I can use this to built up a new eye for the scabbard of my one!

Robert 21st March 2012 06:22 AM

A VERY nice win on this. You did well at the auction. I have a horn pin that I think will be perfect for the end of the scabbard. As soon as I find it I will PM you to get your address so I can send it to you. My congratulations to you on this win also.

Robert

Sajen 21st March 2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
A VERY nice win on this. You did well at the auction. I have a horn pin that I think will be perfect for the end of the scabbard. As soon as I find it I will PM you to get your address so I can send it to you. My congratulations to you on this win also.

Robert

Thank you Robert for both, compliment and and for the horn pin offer! :)

Regards,

Detlef

Sajen 4th April 2012 01:02 PM

Have received the talibon, Rick and Steve are correct, a real massive blade. It is 10 mm thick at the base. Have given the wooden parts a good wood oil since it was very dry and after this a "massage" with antique wax.
Will take some additional pictures and post them the next days.

Regards,

Detlef

Dimasalang 5th April 2012 04:05 AM

Congrates on the awesome piece! :eek:
Can you let me know what wood oil you use? :D

Sajen 6th April 2012 12:13 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Here some additional pictures.

Sajen 6th April 2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimasalang
Congrates on the awesome piece! :eek:
Can you let me know what wood oil you use? :D

Thank you! I have used a oil which is normally for antique furniture.

Regards,

Detlef

Sajen 30th June 2012 10:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The eye at end of the scabbard is restored, here the pictures. It was used black and white horn.

VANDOO 3rd July 2012 06:41 PM

GOOD JOB IT IS NOW COMPLETE AND LOOKS LIKE THE EYE HAS ALWAYS BEEN THERE.
PERHAPS NOW THAT IT CAN SEE IT WILL RATTLE IN HIS SCABBARD TO WARN YOU OF DANGER. ALL MY KERIS AND SOME OF MY OTHER SWORDS ARE RATTLEING LIKE CRAZY HERE :confused: AS ITS NOT TORANADO SEASON IT MUST BE THE UPCOMING ELECTIONS SO BEWARE. :D

Sajen 3rd July 2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VANDOO
GOOD JOB IT IS NOW COMPLETE AND LOOKS LIKE THE EYE HAS ALWAYS BEEN THERE.
PERHAPS NOW THAT IT CAN SEE IT WILL RATTLE IN HIS SCABBARD TO WARN YOU OF DANGER. ALL MY KERIS AND SOME OF MY OTHER SWORDS ARE RATTLEING LIKE CRAZY HERE :confused: AS ITS NOT TORANADO SEASON IT MUST BE THE UPCOMING ELECTIONS SO BEWARE. :D

:D :D Thank you Barry! :)

Regards,

Detlef