Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Yataghan inscription translation please (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2904)

eftihis 3rd August 2006 06:12 PM

Yataghan inscription translation please

6 Attachment(s)
Well,
Just want to tell that this is not mine, it belongs to a friend here in Chania, so no jealous comments please... :rolleyes:
Anybody can translate?

Zifir 3rd August 2006 10:37 PM

Hi efhitis,

the first inscription is

Tevekkeltu alallah ya Allah beni kurtar Sene 816 : I put all my trust to God, O God ! Protect (save) me. Year H 816/ Georgian 1413-14 :confused: :confused:

The second one is:

Sahib mu'min Abdi Ağa : muslim (or believer) owner Abdi Ağa

Battara 4th August 2006 01:48 AM

Is there any way you could post the hilt as well?

Beautiful silverwork and coral gems.

eftihis 4th August 2006 07:15 AM

Zifir, many thanks for the translation!
Battara, the hilt is for retoration, and i do not have photo, i will post as soon asit is ready.

erlikhan 4th August 2006 08:59 AM

Why should one get jealous about this "thing"? It is a simple and very ordinary weapon.Perhaps belonged to a shepherd to protect his sheep on field? :D :p
I have no idea about the writing, but nothing deserves to be discussed more than the dating which is correct as 816 Hicri.Is the writing style and grammer original to the date? Or a modern cheating,or an antique cheating if was produced later, lets say in 18th century or so?

regards

Zifir 4th August 2006 02:42 PM

I am definitely not an expert in paleography. Yet I can share a few points which attracted my uneducated gaze about the inscriptions.

The second inscription is a very nice nesih and it is possible to see documents, texts written in nesih for the early fifteenth century. Yet, the first one is a very indecisive script. It starts as a rika and ends with like nesih. Rika is a script which was widely used from the 18th century to the end of the empire.

The word "kurtar (meaning to save, protect)" is also problematic since kurtar is written with 'te' not with 'tı' in Ottoman Turkish. We cannot expect from swordmakers to be highly literate persons and punctual about the spelling, but the person who wrote the script seemed to me following the turkish wovel harmony and assumed that kurtar should be written with a "tı".

erlikhan 8th August 2006 11:56 PM

so looks like a modern work? (only the inscription of course)

ariel 9th August 2006 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zifir
Hi efhitis,

the first inscription is

Tevekkeltu alallah ya Allah beni kurtar Sene 816 : I put all my trust to God, O God ! Protect (save) me. Year H 816/ Georgian 1413-14 :confused: :confused:

The second one is:

Sahib mu'min Abdi Ağa : muslim (or believer) owner Abdi Ağa

If your dating is correct, this makes this Yataghan ~150 years older than the one belonging to Suleiman Kanuni (By Ahmet Tekelu) considered to be the oldest known example. I doubt it very much.

Zifir 9th August 2006 03:42 AM

I can say for sure that the script in the first picture has nothing to do with the early fifteenth century. I think the original script was the second one and the yatagan had no date. It is highly probable that someone later added the first script and the date.

ariel 9th August 2006 11:39 AM

I will sleep better :D

The entire ensemle looks 19th century to me and the blade is far too pristine for 15th century. I agree: latter addition of the inscription and a bit exaggerated to boot.

Also, the middle panel of the scabbard looks somewhat different from the rest. I suspect it was "renovated'.