Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Japanese fever (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3886)

Valjhun 6th January 2007 10:14 PM

Japanese fever

5 Attachment(s)
Following the increasing interests on japanese blades on this forum I'm attaching photos of one of my swords. It is a wakizashi, signed by the master UNSHU JU YOSHINAGA. Perhaps Rich Sensei, wiht his greater knowlege can tell more about it.

tsubame1 7th January 2007 11:45 AM

Who butchered the blade with such a poor polish ? Where's Yokote ?
Far to seem a real Shobuzukuri to me.

Rich 7th January 2007 12:10 PM

As mentioned, improperly polished - no yokote. No smith signing Unshu Yoshinaga in either Fujishiro or Hawley. Does seem to be a legit Nihonto, circa 1800's. Omori STYLE fuchi/kashira (but not Omori), nice sukashi tsuba.
Hamon seems a bit bright; maybe acid polished/etched??? Just my humble
observations.

Rich S

tsubame1 7th January 2007 12:12 PM

Totally agree with you Rich. Likely a legit NihonTo, but needs an in-hand observation for proper judgement, giving the conditions of the polish.

tsubame1 7th January 2007 01:54 PM

Sorry to have been a quiet hars, but I'm always upset when I see something
ruined by ignorance. Likely you've bought it as it it now. It's not your fault. As you'r italian you should get in touch with some people here : http://www.intk-token.it/forum/
in order to have your blade evalued and eventually re-polished.
Fellow forumites there live near to you. My Senpai is a Togishi too but he doesn't post there and have a too long waiting list to be considered.

Quello col Nickname Kentozazen eventualmente va bene per una lama del livello della tua Waki. Quello col Nickname Togishi è il presidente dell'associazione. Auguri ;)

Valjhun 7th January 2007 09:25 PM

Many thanks to both of you for your observations!

The sword is in old polish and not newly poslished. I took the pictures using the flash, that's why the hammon line seems so bright. In normal condition you have to look in angle with light to notice the hammon. On normal observation the activities on the blade are very faint.

Thank you Tsubame for your hints!

Andrew 7th January 2007 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsubame1

Quello col Nickname Kentozazen eventualmente va bene per una lama del livello della tua Waki. Quello col Nickname Togishi è il presidente dell'associazione. Auguri ;)

Please post in English, Carlo.

Valjhun 9th January 2007 05:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
And there is a katana wich I don't care particularly about, but before thinking about to sell it. I'm posting it here to hear from some wise words from you two, guys.

It is quite lenghty with nagasa measuring arund 75 cm and it is signed Sukemitsu, I think.

Bill M 11th July 2007 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsubame1

I belive this means, "That one with the Nickname Kentozazen eventually goes well for one blade of the level of your Waki. That one with the Nickname Togishi is the president of the association. Auguries"

Montino Bourbon 11th July 2007 03:49 PM

"Auguri" = good wishes

You been looking at the flight of birds a lot?

tsubame1 11th July 2007 08:47 PM

Sorry Andrew, I've not read before you request about language.
My silence wasn't intentional, just seems that sometimes I don't get the
mail advise of new posts from EAAF. Today I got one for the "auguri" post.
The translation from italian is right.

Andrew 11th July 2007 10:27 PM

No worries, Carlo. Thanks. :)