Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   European Armoury (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Spanish Pistol ID (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17006)

rickystl 23rd March 2013 08:08 PM

Spanish Pistol ID

5 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone. I've been away from the Forum for a while now. There are many gun posts I need to catch up with. And a number of posts I need to make. :o
Meantime, I am trying to help a collector associate. Here are a pair of Spanish (?) pistols he owns. Possibly Portuguese? we are trying to locate the origin of this mark on the barrel and tang. James Lavin's book on Spanish firearms does not list it. The anchor would seem to indicate Navel use (?) My guess as to a date would be between 1770 and 1810. But the Spanish returned to the miquelet style lock around 1790.
Any help with I.D. and barrel mark much appreciated. Thanks, Rick.

rickystl 23rd March 2013 08:10 PM

By the way. The stamp is an anchor under a crown.

kahnjar1 24th March 2013 12:33 AM

Hi Rick,
I have checked thru my books on Proof marks and can not locate this particular one. It COULD be some sort of Armoury mark. Are there any marks UNDER the barrels?
Both the pistols have belt hooks so COULD be for naval use but then some land use pistols also had belt hooks.
Stu

fernando 24th March 2013 11:58 AM

Try checking on Spanish Navy pistol circa 1780. French style conventional lock, 15 caliber (19 m/m). Barrel length 21,1 cms. The initial A stands for Armada (same as Marina = Navy).
J.L. Calvó Pascual ARMAMENTO ESPAÑOL DE LA GUERRA DE LA INDEPENDENCIA. Page 42 image #25.

rickystl 24th March 2013 04:59 PM

Hi Kahnjar. Thanks for checking. Rick.

rickystl 24th March 2013 05:11 PM

Hi Fernando! Thanks for the info. With the anchor under a crown, and the letter A meaning Armada, it appears the pistols were made for Navel use.
The pistols do look Spanish military. Thanks again. Rick.

M ELEY 25th March 2013 03:10 AM

Wow! Very nice and green with envy! Love the naval stuff. The naval types typically have the belt loop/hook, as these do.

Fernando K 25th March 2013 09:44 PM

Hello:

Only for appreciation: the belt hook was a Spanish arms custom, both civilian and military. For example, numerous copies of Ripoll.

Affectionately. Fernando K

rickystl 26th March 2013 11:57 PM

Thanks Fernando K. I'm beginning to think the it is an Armoury or City mark. Thanks for everyones help. Rick.

fernando 30th March 2013 02:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I guess you misunderstood Fernando K, Rick.
He meant to say that belthooks were common in both Spanish civilian and military pistols and not that the pistols you posted were not military.
Attached are pictures of the ID i provided. I realize there are no doubts when you compare both image and data.

rickystl 31st March 2013 04:00 AM

Hi Fernando! No, I did not misunderstand Fernando K's response. I just did not respond to the belt hook. Which, now that I look at it, makes my response look awkward. :o It is interesting that the belt hook maintained such a large popularity in Spain through the 1800's. Even on short carbines. You see these on so many Spanish firearms.
Thank you for the attachment!! That is most helpful. Rick.

rickystl 31st March 2013 04:05 PM

Fernando: The owner of the pistols asked me to extend to you his appreciation for this attachment you provided. It is much appreciated. Rick.

fernando 31st March 2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickystl
Fernando: The owner of the pistols asked me to extend to you his appreciation for this attachment you provided. It is much appreciated. Rick.

It's nice being useful :cool:

rickystl 3rd April 2013 11:24 AM

Hi Fernando. Just out of curiosity, could you tell me what reference material you used for the above attachment? Thanks, Rick.

fernando 3rd April 2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickystl
Hi Fernando. Just out of curiosity, could you tell me what reference material you used for the above attachment? Thanks, Rick.

Read my post #4.
I had the privilege to have been offered a copy signed by the author. He was a documentalist in the arms museum situated in the Barcelona Montejuic Castle, which is now dismantled ... unfortunately :shrug:

rickystl 5th April 2013 01:19 AM

THANK YOU!! Rick.