Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Arabic translation assistance (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2774)

RSWORD 16th July 2006 02:05 AM

Arabic translation assistance

5 Attachment(s)
I have a lengthy arabic inscription I was hoping to receive transation assistance. Many thanks in advance for any translations. Being lengthy it is a bit choppy so I hope it isn't too difficult to read.

RSWORD 16th July 2006 02:07 AM

4 Attachment(s)
This inscription is on the opposite side of the blade.

katana 16th July 2006 12:29 PM

Hi RS,
is that the 'katana' like SEA sword you recently bought on eBay??
If it is....are you pleased with it..?

RSWORD 16th July 2006 05:13 PM

Yes, it is the one we were discussing in another thread and it did meet my expectations as a WWII curio. The blade is hand forged but hard to say if a recycled Japanese blade or made in Indonesia in imitation of a Japanese blade. The handle, at this point, is not removable to study the tang. I am hoping the inscription reveals a bit more about this unique piece. I lean more towards Indonesia because the "tsuba" is horn and it resembles in color and grain horn I have seen in Indonesian pieces.

S.Al-Anizi 16th July 2006 05:29 PM

Hi,

I havent ignored this thread Rick, im trying to read those inscriptions, although closer (macro) pics of the inscriptions themselves would make it easier, as the letters are too thin.

RSWORD 17th July 2006 10:16 PM

Thanks for having a look. I'll see if I can get some better pictures soon.

Raja Muda 18th July 2006 01:47 AM

Attempted Readings

Hi RSWORD

I've looked hard at the inscriptions and i think they're a bit miniscule, but anyway, I think one of it reads 'Wa Huwa Samiiun Aliim' And He (God) is All Hearing and All Knowing.

One of the other bits has the tail end of the stock verse 'Nasrun MinnAllah, Wa Fathun Qarib' Victory is from God and the opening? is near.

The bottom one has 'Allahu Akbar' all over it.

I think with clearer shots forumites al Anizi and M Carter might be able to extend some assistance :)

S.Al-Anizi 18th July 2006 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raja Muda
Hi RSWORD

I've looked hard at the inscriptions and i think they're a bit miniscule, but anyway, I think one of it reads 'Wa Huwa Samiiun Aliim' And He (God) is All Hearing and All Knowing.

One of the other bits has the tail end of the stock verse 'Nasrun MinnAllah, Wa Fathun Qarib' Victory is from God and the opening? is near.

The bottom one has 'Allahu Akbar' all over it.

I think with clearer shots forumites al Anizi and M Carter might be able to extend some assistance :)

That would be "A Victory from God and Close Conquest". The Allah Akbar is easy to read, however there are other quranic verses where I can make some of the words out, yet not the whole phrase to make sense.

S.Al-Anizi 18th July 2006 02:21 AM

I think Im getting more of this.

Post #2 3rd picture reads: "Wama Ramayt Ith Ramayta Walakinna Allah Ramaa". A Koranic verse which means, "It is not you who acted but god himself".

bj211 21st August 2006 01:20 AM

trans

2 Attachment(s)
trans.

S.Al-Anizi 21st August 2006 06:22 AM

Good job bj211!

RSWORD 22nd August 2006 10:36 PM

bj211

Thank you for taking time to provide the translation and in such a clear and helpful manner. It really adds to the history of the sword and the time it was carried.

D. Cooke 26th August 2006 03:52 AM

Wow, what a great piece of translation work. I was checking out the thread because i speak a little arabic myself, but nothing I could do do would compare.

good job. I wish i could find something like that for some burmese translation.