Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   who know more over such an khanda sword (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13454)

dralin23 8th March 2011 08:03 PM

who know more over such an khanda sword

3 Attachment(s)
hi ,
i saw these khanda sword last year at an armsfair. it is an unique thing with thse serated blade and the zulfiquar tip. there was also 2 inscriptions at the blade unfortunatly i havn´t now good pictures from these inscription.
an intresting feature is at the spike from the hilt. where is an protection from binded feaber. i wonder if these sword is an real weapon ore more an temple sword ore for religios ceremonies.
could someone tell me more over such an kind of sword?
i´m very curios about the opinions from the forummembers and the swordfriends,
stefan

tom hyle 8th March 2011 11:42 PM

I don't know more, but I like the looks of it; thanks. The tip is of course impractical in some degree, sacrificing the cutting ability of the usual wide tip.
I've never seen one of these butt "spikes" actually be a blade, but could that be a sheath on it?

Battara 10th March 2011 03:29 AM

Interesting piece! I think that this particular piece is ceremonial since the Zulfiquar "tip" would not be practical and brake off in actual combat.

tom hyle 13th March 2011 05:37 AM

I notice an interesting thing. I don't know what it means. The crossguard that runs between the blade and the flat "figure 8" shell/sheild is usually attached to the flat 8 with two staples, somewhat analagous to the bacas/asangs on kris sundang. But on this sword there are no staples; their outline is imitated with a peak of metal, but they are not present. Is this a matter of region? of era? :confused: I dunno......

Jens Nordlunde 10th April 2011 04:39 PM

Stefan,
Serrated blades are, if they are serrated on only one side called Arapusta, and if they are serrated on both sides called Aradam.
This term seem to be used for all swords with any kind of hilt.
Jens

fearn 10th April 2011 04:55 PM

Hi Jens,

It looks like this was an aradam sword, and the back serrations were ground down to make it an arapusta sword. This makes me wonder how much else was reshaped on it.

It's also a pity that we don't have both inscriptions to get translations off. That might tell us something.

Best,

F

Jens Nordlunde 10th April 2011 05:10 PM

Hi Fearn :),
Yes I thought of the same, but ended up thinking that someone else should get 'clever' :D.
Best
Jens

fearn 10th April 2011 08:27 PM

Thanks Jens! Next time, I'll be happy to return the favor.

Best,

F

ariel 10th April 2011 10:35 PM

Somehow, my antennae are nervously twitching...
In addition to the "aradam/arapusta" point noted by Fearn, I am suspicious about the extension (rattan?) of the pommel and, especially, about the Dhu-l-faqar point as such. There is a subtle widening of the blade at the root of the upper prong, and the inner parts of the prongs seem uneven. The overall length of the blade seems kinda awkward, shorter than it was supposed to be. I have a feeling this sword was mucked around with, and that the Dhu-l-faqar feature might have been added.

ariel 10th April 2011 10:37 PM

Sorry, that was double posting. My mistake.

fearn 11th April 2011 01:14 AM

Hi Ariel,

Since the inscription appears to be upside down, do you think that the sword hilt was remounted in reverse?

F

ariel 11th April 2011 03:18 AM

With the blunt side as the working edge? :-)

Yet another point against the poor creature.... They seem to accumulate rather fast.