Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Weapons (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Kukri Knife for ID (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17708)

Antique Arsenal 12th October 2013 08:04 PM

Kukri Knife for ID

10 Attachment(s)
Hi,
I just bought a nice looking kukri knife on a flea market. I basically took a gamble since the price was so low. The blade looks pattern but it might be a false one. Basically I do not have a lot of expertise on Nepal arms, so I was hoping that some of you might help me with identifying its age and may be region of origin.

I would appreciate any input you can provide to me.

Thanks,
Aleks

kahnjar1 12th October 2013 08:34 PM

Not my area of expertise, but to me this looks like a modern made Indian production. Similar style of manufacture to the many "ethnic" knives now appearing on a well known auction website.
There are dedicated Kukhri collectors here who no doubt will respond and give you concise comments.
Regards Stu

Antique Arsenal 13th October 2013 04:18 AM

Thank you kahnjar1. I would not be surprised, but I would love to make sure that it is a reproduction before I get rid of it. I appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Aleks

kahnjar1 13th October 2013 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antique Arsenal
Thank you kahnjar1. I would not be surprised, but I would love to make sure that it is a reproduction before I get rid of it. I appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Aleks

If he does not reply here, send PM to Berkley who should be able to confirm or deny my judgement.
By the way I said "production" not "reproduction".
Stu

VANDOO 13th October 2013 06:37 AM

A PRETTY LITTLE THING BUT I WOULD NOT CALL IT A KUKRI. THE BLADE IS SORT OF A KURKRI SHAPE BUT LITTLE ELSE RESEMBLES ONE. WHAT IS THE SIZE OF THE KNIFE IT APPEARS SMALL. THE DAMASCUS BLADE IS VERY NICE AND THE MOTHER OF PEARL GRIP GOES WELL WITH SUCH A PRETTY BLADE. THE WORKMANSHIP LOOKS GOOD SO I WOULD NOT CLASSIFY THIS AS A TOURIST ITEM OR A CHEAP FAKE OR REPLICA FROM INDIA. THEY DO GOOD WORK IN INDIA BOTH IN THE PAST AND TODAY AND IF YOU GOT THIS LITTLE GEM CHEAP I WOULD CONSIDER IT A GOOD BUY AND A KEEPER. :cool:

Timo Nieminen 13th October 2013 09:24 AM

Modern, from India or Pakistan, but I wouldn't call it a "reproduction". Neither would I call a modern machete with a kukri-shaped blade a "reproduction". I wouldn't call it a kukri, either.

On these knives, the pattern is usually genuine. Pattern-welded steel AKA folded steel AKA mechanical Damascus, etched and stained to bring out the pattern.

Battara 13th October 2013 05:18 PM

This type of "birds-eye" pattern is common, coming out of India these days.

Antique Arsenal 14th October 2013 02:48 PM

Thanks all of you for the help. It is too bad that it turned out to be a modern made knife but it was worth a try.

Thanks,
Aleks

spiral 14th October 2013 02:51 PM

Yes as the others have said, definatly current Indian production, the factory made birds eye steel & mother of pearl turn up on all current Indian fake/replica weapons.

spiral