Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Ethnographic Arms & Armour (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/index.php)
-   Ethnographic Miscellania (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Swordsmith question (http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19168)

Spunjer 11th October 2014 06:57 PM

Swordsmith question

not really sure if this is the right place to post this...
a good friend of mine passed away not too long ago. his daughters were asking if there are any swordsmiths around that would make a sword in honor of their dad, but with a twist; they want their dad's cremated ashes mixed with it.
thanks in advance

spiral 11th October 2014 07:09 PM

Ashes might last in a matrix of synthetic hilt material, but would be lost in the slag of molten steel/iron production.

spiral

David 11th October 2014 07:27 PM

Hey Ron. I'm sure you could find a sword smith right here in Ohio who would do that. If this was my process i don't think i would be worried about the ashes being lost in the slag since the addition of the ash would be more a symbolic gesture. I certainly know some nearby smiths who would undertake such a task, but i'm not sure if they produce the level of craft your friend might be looking for.
As for right place i would say that this thread seems more appropriate to the Misc. section so i'm going to transfer it over there. :)

spiral 11th October 2014 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David
. If this was my process i don't think i would be worried about the ashes being lost in the slag since the addition of the ash would be more a symbolic gesture. I certainly know some nearby smiths who would undertake such a task, :)

I guess that would depend on the daughters understanding of the facts & their wishes being truthfully fulfilled & how they wish to deal with Their grief process for Their father.

spiral

Spunjer 11th October 2014 07:39 PM

Thanks David. I would gladly passed on the name/names of the swordsmiths you know. I'd you don't mind, please on me their name/address
Kind regards

David 11th October 2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiral
I guess that would depend on the daughters understanding of the facts & their wishes being truthfully fulfilled & how they wish to deal with Their grief process for Their father.

spiral

Well of course Spiral, that is fairly obvious, isn't it? That is why i was clear about stating that my opinion was based upon my own understandings of such things and not a blanket statement that this is the way things are for everyone. ;) My statement was directed towards Ron as an alternative way of thinking about the matter, not meant to refute your facts about the material loss or to create a debate on the matter. :)

spiral 11th October 2014 08:31 PM

Ahhh I was stating the obvious then... That's good,

I wasn't sure for a moment, glad I was though! ;)

spiral